Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Charles4809: That's similar to what mine does, and I'm kinda greatful for it; instead of installing Grub on the master boot record of a Windows drive, I can just switch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Charles4809: That's similar to what mine does, and I'm kinda greatful for it; instead of installing Grub on the master boot record of a Windows drive, I can just switch which drive is the primary drive and it runs from there. I am thinkin that this is actually my problem in this case since my USB drive is not what it is thinking --in fact, I cannot even boot the install disc with the USB stick in place because of some strange error it gives me (something about '' device not existing).

However, I do think I made some progress. Instead of giving me an error Grub just freezes when booting to my computer. Of course, this may not be good, but I am going to try it out on my father's computer as soon as I can as well as a school computer (I have classes tonight so I can try before the Java class)
    Oh, and I almost forgot: Thanks, jonathan183 for the thing about UUID's --I thought I had to type "root=UUID=..." and that doesn't work ^,^

About your school computer. If your schools admin is any good it will have a password protected BIOS. Making it impossible to change the boot priority. Good luck anyway.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

Linux Newbie
    Oh, they don't --I already checked. Plus, removing certain batteries and shorting certain jumpers is always a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    Thanks, jonathan183 for the thing about UUID's --I thought I had to type "root=UUID=..." and that doesn't work ^,^
    I thought that at first as well ... thats what Ubuntu does after posting I gave it a try and had to mod the post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2