Find the answer to your Linux question:
While trying to select packages during installation, I get the following error: error:failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from ftp.archlinux.org: transient resolver failure. Furthermore, the following pinging does nothing: # ping -c ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't get dhcp to work during installation

While trying to select packages during installation, I get the following error:

error:failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from ftp.archlinux.org: transient resolver failure.

Furthermore, the following pinging does nothing:

# ping -c 3 www . google . com
    >>> unknown host www . google . com

I've tried editing the rc.conf file to include the lines:

HOSTNAME="ArchHost"
    eth0="dhcp"
    INTERFACES=(eth0)
    gateway="default gw 67.189.0.1"
    ROUTES=(!gateway)

and I added this to /etc/hosts:
    67.189.1.162 localhost.localdomain localhost ArchHost

Then I restart the network daemon via:

# /etc/rc.d/network restart

Then do:

# dhcpcd -k eth0
    # dhcpcd -nd eth0

And I'm still not getting an inet address when I ipconfig eth0. I've also tailored the pacman.conf file to only include the ftp.archlinux.org servers:

Server = ftp : //ftp . archlinux . org/(core, extra, and community)/os/i686

I KNOW this site is capped - I'm just trying to narrow down the problem. But I think the problem is more to do with getting dhcp working and NOT the setup of pacman.conf and the mirrorlist files. Could be wrong though.

I'm kinda new to linux, but eager to learn what I can, so any help would be much appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are going to use dhcp, you need to comment out the gateway line:

Code:
    #gateway=""
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    You can check this networking wiki page for all the details on getting your internet connection running properly:

Configuring network - ArchWiki
    oz

Just Joined!
    Tried that. But I also read somewhere that some people claim to require gateway defined - even for dhcp. It's actually in the Arch Wiki that I saw that (Beginner's Guide wiki, Section 2.9.2.3). By the way, the limit on noobs posting URL's is a BIG pain. Oh well...

The guide you recommend is exactly what I'm working from for the last two days.

oz
    forum.guy
    /etc/hosts should be like this:

Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost     ArchHost
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok, cool. But what the heck is 127.0.0.1? It sure isn't my IP address is it? When I 'dhcpcd eth0' the 67.189. ... IPs come up.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gozo311 View Post
    But what the heck is 127.0.0.1?
    that's your local host

the wiki page posted above covers it all pretty well
    oz

Just Joined!
    One of the points of DHCP is that its supposed to do all that stuff for you automatically. When you begin setting static IPs everywhere (like your machine's IP/subnet mask/gateway ip) it kind of breaks the system since the DHCP server is supposed to handle those configurations. It's better to clean all that out, and then if necessary start doing one thing at a time and see if it works -- if not than change it back.

Additionally, it surprises me that you're on a different subnet than your gateway -- this can cause problems in some cases. Normally DHCP will put you on a similar subnet as your gateway is if not the same one.

I don't know if my post is helpful or not but hopefully it will provide some useful insight.

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure, but it appears to me that you might be trying to use a static IP, and dhcp. If so, follow the instructions in the wiki page posted above to use a static IP address. You'll likely have problems if you try to mix the dhcp procedure and the static ip procedure for connecting to the internet.
    oz