Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am just switching over to arch from ubuntu, which seemed to work much faster with packages. I am not talking about the download speed, I have only one mirror ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] pacman unbearably slow

I am just switching over to arch from ubuntu, which seemed to work much faster with packages. I am not talking about the download speed, I have only one mirror in the mirror list uncommented, the speed of the downloads once they start is fine, but there is a large pause between each file that is downloaded, probably 5-10 seconds. Is there any way to remedy it? It adds a ridiculous amount of time to installing gnome.

Never really needed to adjust things in pacman myself ... but have you looked here?

oz
    forum.guy
    Have you tried using some different mirrors?

If you are using the default archlinux.org server, that's probably what's causing this issue because it's throttled.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I recall having a similar issue some time ago...can't remember how I resolved it, but it might have been disabling ipv6.
    IPv6 - Disabling the Module - ArchWiki

Thanks Jonathan183, that page had the solution I was looking for. I installed aria2 and configured pacman to use that instead of its built in downloader, which apparently isn't that great.