Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installed Arch, Works Great save for Flash

I did some research, read around the Arch wiki and was intrigued enough to wipe eeebuntu from my netbook in an attempt to get Arch up and running. After some initial idiocy I got it going, put LXDE and SLiM on it to have myself a GUI, picked up SeaMonkey as a browser, and installed the latest flash plugin. Does anybody have any idea why flash is comparitivly slow? So far it's had a whole lot more snap than eeebuntu save for flash, no excessive daemons and background processes, no excess gunky software, but for some reason flash bogs everything down. What irks me is I know the machine can do it because flash ran just fine under eeebuntu. Of course there's always flashblock which is useful but I'd like to be able to watch videos without murdering my battery life. Any help is appreciated, I'd love to hear from someone who's had the same problem and managed a fix. If it's of any help, I'm running an eeepc 1005HA, 1.66ghz atom, 2gig ram, standard HDD not solid state.

-Kit

did you install the proper driver for you video card?

All models of the eeepc use an integrated intel graphics card, right? Are you using the intel driver or vesa?

I use Arch on a Dell Mini 9 and flash works fine for me.

Have you enabled Kernel Mode Setting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The eeePC's do use an integrated 945GME intel card. I looked into KMS, and enabled it using the method with the bootloader. I wish flash didn't take up 40-80% of my cpu, it does perform with less chug. The help is greatly appreciated, I feel I'm getting the hang of things but there's still a period of adjustment. Arch is turning out to be a pretty nice distro.

-Kit

You said it was utilizing significantly less of your cpu with eeebuntu?

I just checked on a couple of different computers, and 40-80% on a netbook seems pretty normal.

Desktop with Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz
    Kubuntu, Firefox and flash: 20-30% cpu
    64 bit flash downloaded from Adobe.

Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83Ghz
    Arch with Pekwm WM, Chromium and Flash: 20-40%
    64 bit flash downloaded from Arch repos

Dell Mini 9, Atom N270 1.60Ghz
    Arch with Pekwm WM, Chromium and Flash: 60-70%
    with Firefox and Flash: 70-80%
    32 bit flash downloaded from Arch repos

The flash video plays fine and without stutters on all of them.

Flash as a technology kind of sucks. It has problems on all platforms and it's unfortunate that it has become so prevalent. I'm really hoping with the HTML5 video tags, open source video formats take off and flash dies.

It was using about the same CPU, but the flash by default seemed a little less chuggy, then again it auto configures everything so it's likely it got something right, or maybe the driver was a little different or the like. It works fine now that I've got KMS operating however. Having played around with flash a bit I can see why it's so popular, but it really would be nice if there was a more efficient way to do such simple animation, and in a relatively compact form. It's got a lot of potential but it is flat out bizarre to see numbers like that. I wonder if anybody has started work on such a thing.

-Kit

This does look promising, seems one thing that might be a bit key is getting Theora's compression up and running at it's best. Not liking the idea of anything related to MPEG becoming standard for this, it smells of Apple...

-Kit

Thanks for showing me that, it's an interesting little experiment for sure. I can see how there might be bias against the format. I've yet to actually encounter theora video in my daily use of the internet.

-Kit