Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm very new to Arch Linux and I'm trying to give a user account the rights to mount a USB flash drive. I'm not sure what group I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux user access USB Flash Drive

Hi,
    I'm very new to Arch Linux and I'm trying to give a user account the rights to mount a USB flash drive. I'm not sure what group I have to add to the user, any suggestions.
    Make mine Arch Linux

Can you explain a little more what the ultimate goal is?

As in, are you using a graphical environment and want the USB drive to appear in your file manager and either automount or mount when clicked on?

Or is this a console only environment and you want the user to be able to mount?

If the first, GNOME, KDE, and XFCE all have tools to do this. Or if you're running light with just a window manager, you can use the excellent volume manager skvm.

If the latter, you can either use a tool like pmount, or setup the use with sudo privileges for mount/umount.

And your user should be a member of the storage group to access removable drives.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Can you explain a little more what the ultimate goal is?

As in, are you using a graphical environment and want the USB drive to appear in your file manager and either automount or mount when clicked on?

Or is this a console only environment and you want the user to be able to mount?

If the first, GNOME, KDE, and XFCE all have tools to do this. Or if you're running light with just a window manager, you can use the excellent volume manager skvm.

If the latter, you can either use a tool like pmount, or setup the use with sudo privileges for mount/umount.

And your user should be a member of the storage group to access removable drives.
    The user is a member of the storage, hal and dbus group. The graphical environment is Gnome and I would like the USB drive to automount.
    Make mine Arch Linux

The user should not be a member of hal or dbus.

Shows how long it's been since I've used GNOME. I guess gnome-volume-manager no longer exists, so I'm not entirely sure how it's handled now. Everything I've seen seems to indicate it should just work.

How are you logging in? Are you using GDM? startx from the console?

Are you getting any errors when mounting from nautilus?

The option in nautilus appears to be "Browse media when inserted". Have you selected that?
    Media Preferences

Oh, I think this should have been pulled in with GNOME, but make sure you have gvfs installed also.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Oh, I think this should have been pulled in with GNOME, but make sure you have gvfs installed also.

All I know is that I can mount these USB drives while logged in as root. When I try as a non-root user it fails.
    Make mine Arch Linux