Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm fairly new to Linux, installed it because of an old boyfriend and figured I could learn to use it. The boyfriend is gone, and I am still here with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Fairly new- need peripheral help.

I'm fairly new to Linux, installed it because of an old boyfriend and figured I could learn to use it. The boyfriend is gone, and I am still here with Linux, hardly knowing how to use it. I have used my father's Windows machine a few times to print some documents or whatnot and it is just not worth it to switch back to Windows. SO, I must learn!

My current issues are figuring out how to get my computer to see our network printer. I'm on a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, with the latest Arch Linux distribution. The printer is an Epson.

Also, the laptop has an integrated webcam which worked fine with Windows, but hasn't started up since I installed Linux. I've looked at several forums for this one, but considering that they don't make the machine anymore, and all old specs that I can find just say "optional Camera included", nothing's much of help in identifying what commands I need to run or what packages I need.

Any takers on any of these possibly super lame questions? I know I need to learn it inside and out, but unfortunately I don't have the time in this semester to do so And these are just essentials that need to get taken care of. I hate going to use my father's Windows machine. Yuck!

Arch is not an easy one to be learning on, but if you persevere you'll learn a lot.

First thing for the printer is to make sure you have all the packages installed and such.

You'll also need smbclient installed.

CUPS - ArchWiki
    Samba - ArchWiki

For the webcam.
    Webcam Setup - ArchWiki