Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a question about which driver I should be using with Arch Linux...My lspci returns 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series] And the documentation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux ATI Graphics Cards

I have a question about which driver I should be using with Arch Linux...My lspci returns

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

And the documentation located at Beginners' Guide - ArchWiki suggests...

ATI Graphics Cards

ATI owners have multiple options for drivers.

* The open source radeon driver provided by the xf86-video-ati package.
    o This is the original, reverse-engineered open source driver which fully supports Radeon chipsets up to X1950 (latest R500 chipsets). Cards up to the 9200 series are fully supported, stable, and provide full 2D and 3D acceleration. Cards from 9500 to X1950 feature full 2D acceleration, and stable 3D acceleration, but lack certain features provided by the proprietary driver, (for example, powersaving is still in a testing phase). Cards from HD2xxx (R6xx) to the newest are supported by xf86-video-ati, but only offer 2d support at this time.
    * The open source radeonhd driver provided by the xf86-video-radeonhd package.
    o This driver supports ATI R500 chipsets (Radeon X1000 series) and newer. It is written by Novell with specifications provided to the public by AMD. It supports RandR 1.2 and development is currently very active. Therefore, functionality may be inconsistent across the spectrum of cards supported. (Some users report excellent performance and reliability while others experience trouble.) It also supports HDMI, with sound.

Should I be using the xf86-video-radeonhd package or the xf86-video-ati. For my first Arch installs, I was using the first option - xf86-video-ati..

Note I don't get into special effects or compiz...Thank-you for any pointers - Gerard
    Make mine Arch Linux

Just Joined!
    You should probably read the ATI article on ArchWiki.

It suggests
    Generally, xf86-video-ati seems to offer more consistent performance as compared to xf86-video-radeonhd, so it should be your first choice, no matter which ATi card you own. xf86-video-radeonhd should be used as a "fallback" driver in case you encounter errors with xf86-video-ati.