Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I configured sound per beginners guide and passed sound test. After kde install I had no sound and no internet connection. I tried googling. same as my title, and could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] No sound after kde install

I configured sound per beginners guide and passed sound test. After kde install I had no sound and no internet connection. I tried googling. same as my title, and could not come up with anything. i have arch linux 2.6.33-ARCH. I did a pacman -Syy and then again pacman -S kde. I still have same problem. Frank. This is my first few days on Arch Linux.

Internet connection started working after I added DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal kdm to /etc/rc.config, and commented out inittab entries.

I am not sure if my DAEMON entries are correct in /etc/rc.conf file. Here is what I have now.

DAEMON=(syslog-ng network netfs crond)
    #DAEMON=(syslog-ng network crond alsa)
    #DAEMON=/etc/rc.d/hal start
    DAEMON=(syslog-ng dbus hal neworkmanager alsa crond kdm)
    DAEMON=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal kdm)
    Last edited by frank56; 05-17-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: new info

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never had so many daemon sections in my rc.conf file so I'm not sure how well that would work, especially seeing as how a number of entries are duplicates.

I'd recommend removing all but one section and then put all the daemons that you need into that single section. I usually put ALSA toward the end of my daemons listing, just before KDM.

After you've run alsamixer, be sure to run alsactl store to save your current alsa settings.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    If it helps any, my daemons section looks like this:

Code:
    DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network crond rpcbind fam dbus hal cups alsa)
    Note that I don't use a display manager, so KDM nor GDM are in the list, and I might have other daemons listed that you wouldn't need since I'm not running KDE.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've never had so many daemon sections in my rc.conf file so I'm not sure how well that would work, especially seeing as how a number of entries are duplicates.

I'd recommend removing all but one section and then put all the daemons that you need into that single section. I usually put ALSA toward the end of my daemons listing, just before KDM.

After you've run alsamixer, be sure to run alsactl store to save your current alsa settings.
    Thanks, Ozar, I was thinking the same thing. I will try doing that. Streamling into one line if I can. Frank

Linux Newbie

I have just one line uncommented or without the hash sign:
    DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network netfs networkmanager crond alsa kdm)

The bios produces sound before Archlinux starts. Almixer test failed but i still ran alsactl. Boot still produces sound. I can still connect to internet. Akonadi is producing errors. I don't know how to access them. On my kde log utility, I get:
    "cannot load usr/share/apps/kdm/faces. No such file or directory. I still do not have sound, but did learn a bit about streamlining DAEMON S entries.

oz
    forum.guy
    Be sure that you've installed alsa-lib and alsa-utils then go to a terminal or console and su to gain root permissions, then run the alsaconf command to configure your sound device. After that, run alsamixer and adjust all your volume levels as desired, then press Escape and run alsactl store to store the settings. After that you should have sound if ALSA works with your sound device and you have sound enabled in KDE.

On the KDM issue, it appears that the system is unable to find any faces icons to go with your username for KDM logins. I don't run KDM at all, so maybe someone that does will offer up some tips on that.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Be sure that you've installed alsa-lib and alsa-utils then go to a terminal or console and su to gain root permissions, then run the alsaconf command to configure your sound device. After that, run alsamixer and adjust all your volume levels as desired, then press Escape and run alsactl store to store the settings. After that you should have sound if ALSA works with your sound device and you have sound enabled in KDE.

On the KDM issue, it appears that the system is unable to find any faces icons to go with your username for KDM logins. I don't run KDM at all, so maybe someone that does will offer up some tips on that.
    I have been making one basic or dumb mistake. I didn't know the M was to toggle between mute, and unmute. All the help in the world would not help if I left the M there. What seems to be happening, even though, I ran alsactl store, my settings disappear, I think at every boot. I ran out of time, I wanted to do more tests, before I replied. I found a cool website that was clearer on configuring alsa. Here it is, it might help someone. Advanced Linux Sound Architecture - ArchWiki. I ran the recommended test, once and they seemed to pass.

I may be also making incorrect entries. ! ... pcskr. I don't know that I should include the 3 periods or dots. But I plan to google that, so if people are too busy I can still do a lot of work myself, as I am suppose to. Frank

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    I may be also making incorrect entries. ! ... pcskr. I don't know that I should include the 3 periods or dots.
    You don't want the dots in there.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    You don't want the dots in there.
    I should have added I have more than sound problems. I cannot shut down without hitting control/alt + F1. Unless I want to keep trying or waiting for a long time. I cannot minimize windows. Sometimes my mouse arrow freezes. If I let computer sit for more than about 20 minutes I have to shut it down with power button, since it freezes. This is my first install perhaps I should start from scratch with a lighter windows manager, until I get the hang of it. I will leave the dots out.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    I should have added I have more than sound problems. I cannot shut down without hitting control/alt + F1. Unless I want to keep trying or waiting for a long time. I cannot minimize windows. Sometimes my mouse arrow freezes. If I let computer sit for more than about 20 minutes I have to shut it down with power button, since it freezes. This is my first install perhaps I should start from scratch with a lighter windows manager, until I get the hang of it. I will leave the dots out.
    I did a No NO here. I should have mentioned all this at start of post. I probably wasted Ozar time. My apologies. Frank
    I am now trying to mention what other problems I am having.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast