Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am reinstalling arch linux and am getting error message: The sync block could not be read or does descrube a correct ext2 file system". On the first installation on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Solved The sync block could not be read or does..

I am reinstalling arch linux and am getting error message: The sync block could not be read or does descrube a correct ext2 file system".

On the first installation on same ide hard drive, I did not get this error. I don't know if arch linux does a disk format every time one does an install, if it does it does not seem to take long. When asked if I wanted swap at the beginning or end, I put that in the beginning. I think that was one mistake I made. I put all my partitions in the beginning not the end. I used the grub boot loader and I chose /dev/sda or first
    device on top of the list.

I did ext3 on root, /var and /home, and ext2 on swap.

I have a clone with pentium3 an ide hardrive.. I was using 2nd. live cd option for legacy ide drive. I followed instructions from this link, to use the first option. But you need to follow the steps there. Here is the link.

Arch Linux Forums / Post install boot...'superblock could not be read'.
    Last edited by frank56; 05-19-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Solved

Post the output of (as root)
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    I did ext3 on root, /var and /home, and ext2 on swap.
    Swap as ext2 doesn't make sense.

Arch only formats on install if you tell it to. It's been awhile since I've installed, but as I recall, there was just an option along the lines of, "Do you want to create a filesystem on this partition".

EDIT: Post the contents of /etc/fstab also.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Post the output of (as root)
    Code:
    fdisk -l

Swap as ext2 doesn't make sense.

Arch only formats on install if you tell it to. It's been awhile since I've installed, but as I recall, there was just an option along the lines of, "Do you want to create a filesystem on this partition".

EDIT: Post the contents of /etc/fstab also.
    Thanks for correcting that Swap as ext3 does not make sense. I hope I make more and more sense with time. . But I sure do not want to confuse people. I am new, to arch linux so I will probably be asking lots of questions. And making lots of not so smart mistakes. I was confusing the type 82 which is swap, with ext2. All my mind so was a 2 was common.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close