Find the answer to your Linux question:
When, I try sound-juicer, and I put a music cd in the drive...I get error message, no cdrom found. Data cd/s respond normally, even get icon on desktop, and files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Arch cannot see my cd player with music cd

When, I try sound-juicer, and I put a music cd in the drive...I get error message, no cdrom found. Data cd/s respond normally, even get icon on desktop, and files open up on it. I have been trying to solve this problem with web searches, and thought I had it solved. One fix, I tried was booting from 2nd option boot, for ide drive systems, and partitioning disk only, without doing the next step, where you enter the file system types. Then rebooting from the first option, skipping only the partitioning step. This did help eliminating block errors, but I still cannot play music cd's.

I will post the latest web information that I am working with, and invite comments on it. It relates to my problem as udev renames my cd player to sr0 as I understand it. My cd directory is empty.

I could not find a package udevinfo mentioned in the sources below in pacman.

"udev-related tasks that must (optionally) be performed by the user."

I am assuming the "user" means myself and not Arch Linux.

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo udev Guide

Block device renaming
    Recent versions of udev (104 and up) along with newer kernel versions (2.6.19 and up) may change your disc device names, due to a change in the kernel's libata implementation. A CD-RW device at /dev/hdc may be changed to /dev/sr0. While this is not normally a problem, it may cause issues for some applications that are hardcoded to look for devices at other locations. For example, media-sound/rip expects to find discs at /dev/cdrom, which becomes a problem if you use a newer kernel and udev renames your device to /dev/cdrom1.
    To work around these issues, you must edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and assign the correct name to the device.
    For more information on writing udev rules, be sure to read Daniel Drake's guide.

Writing udev rules

udev is the "new" way of managing /dev directories, designed to clear up some issues with previous /dev implementations, and provide a robust path forward. In order to create and name /dev device nodes corresponding to devices that are present in the system, udev relies on matching information provided by sysfs with rules provided by the user. This documentation aims to detail the process of rule-writing, one of the only udev-related tasks that must (optionally) be performed by the user.

Just Joined!
    Are you in the optical group?

Can any other Music app see the cd? Does
    Code:
     mplayer cdda://
    do anything?

Linux Newbie
    Actually Mplayer was playing, but I had to manually start it. With debian a cd icon pops up, and seems better configured. I must have made some changes because later mpplayer did not even install. Frank