Find the answer to your Linux question:
Err, sorry for that. I was in a hurry and didn't get to typing out my message. Ahem. I'm trying to set up ntfs mounting on Arch (current) and KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Hal issues

Err, sorry for that. I was in a hurry and didn't get to typing out my message. Ahem.

I'm trying to set up ntfs mounting on Arch (current) and KDE as a DM. This is the code I get when I attempt to mount any drive other than my linux partitions.
    Code:
    An error occurred while accessing "200.0 GiB Hard Drive', The system responded: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules: type="method_call", sender=":1.20" (uid=1000 pid=2109 comm="kdeinit4:dolphin [kdeinit] -icon-system-file-mana") interface=" org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume member="Mount" error name "(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=" org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid-1576 comm= "usr/sbin/hald))
    I have tried reinstalling Hal and dbus, I have installed ntfs-3g and I've editted the startkde line in `/.xinit (or what ever it is) to exec ck-launch-session startkde

I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by ArchKilo; 01-20-2011 at 05:40 AM.

If you're logging in with KDM, .xinitrc is not called, so that shouldn't matter. I am curious, though, if you have in ~/.xinitrc
    Code:
    exec ck-launch-session startkde
    and start from the console with
    Code:
    startx
    Does the problem persist?

Unfortunately, the whole consolekit, policykit, HAL tangle is a confusing mess with many recent and rapid changes. There are a number of possible fixes listed in the Arch Hal Wiki. Have you gone through those?

EDIT: Oh, first, are you a member of the storage group?
    Code:
    gpasswd -a user storage

Just Joined!
    I've edited my user permissions with nano and they seemed fine. I've got storage, wheel, all that. When i first installed KDE, i don't remember how but I think I set up an alias for startx as just "kde", because that's how i start it. If I set that up in a different way, would starting kde with startx potentially solve the problem?

EDIT: for clearification, I login to arch, then start KDE from there.
    Re-EDIT: I started with startx instead of my alias KDE and now mounting works. Oddly enough, I can not find my alias but "kde" works to start KDE

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So it sounds like you were not starting kde properly to connect with the consolekit session.

You shouldn't edit /etc/group with just nano. Use gpasswd or vigr.