Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm an Arch Newbie, and know not much about the linux kernel, or really much at all about the guts of linux. I've just installed xf86-video-nouveau as I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with X Server and Nouveau Driver

Hello, I'm an Arch Newbie, and know not much about the linux kernel, or really much at all about the guts of linux. I've just installed xf86-video-nouveau as I have a Nvidia 460M graphics card. I've also installed all recommended X Server packages from the beginner's guide. I have created a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf saying this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia card"
    Driver "nouveau"
    EndSection

and when I enter startx I get these errors:

FATAL: Module nouveau not found.
    (EE) [drm] failed to open device
    (EE) No devices detected.

Please consult etc....

xinit:giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
    xinit: server error

Help would be appreciated.

i wouldn't use nouveau driver, it isn't anywhere close to functioning as well as nvidia proprietary driver yet

if you are hellbent on using it https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

Just Joined!
    Thanks man, I've already done that now. Btw, I already viewed that page. Someone might want to edit the NVIDIA drivers section of the Beginner's Guide, it advises Nouveau. Appreciate the help. Someone please lock this up.
    EDIT:

Actually, can someone link to something explaining pkgbuild in yaourt? I tried to install pacman-color via yaourt and it asked me to edit pkgbuild, not sure what it is.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, the main thing the nouveau driver is lacking is hardware acceleration. If you're not looking to run a compositing window manager like compiz, or otherwise don't need 3D acceleration, nouveau is perfectly fine. I used it for quite some time.

The PKGBUILD is the build script used to make the package. All of the AUR helpers offer to let you edit the script, both for security - the AUR is use at your own risk - and if you want to pass any custom build options.

Just Joined!
    Okay, thanks again, you're a big help to me.