Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am looking for a more up-to=date but stable distro to use. I am coming from Ubuntu. I would like to know if Arch linux update their repositories ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Linux Benefits

Hello all,

I am looking for a more up-to=date but stable distro to use. I am coming from Ubuntu. I would like to know if Arch linux update their repositories often or do they work on the backport method like Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinEater View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking for a more up-to=date but stable distro to use. I am coming from Ubuntu. I would like to know if Arch linux update their repositories often or do they work on the backport method like Ubuntu?
    This link should answer your questions.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ

Q) When will the new release be made?

A) Arch Linux releases are merely a snapshot of the /core repository, combined with various features or modifications to the installer script itself. The rolling release model keeps every Arch Linux system current and on the bleeding edge by issuing one command.

For this reason, releases are not terribly important in Arch, because the rolling-release system makes new releases out of date as soon as a package has been updated. If you are looking to obtain the latest Arch Linux release, you do not need to reinstall. You simply run the pacman -Syu command and your system will be identical to what you would get with a brand-new install
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Most of your rolling release distros will stay current so long as you run your system updates.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinEater View Post
    Hello all,

I haven't used Arch in about a year but unless they have made some serious changes, Arch leans more on the "bleeding edge" side by default. You can configure it to use more stable packages though. But I never ran into problems from packages being unstable, despite that fact.
    But if you ever did run into issues, pacman will typically let you do a rollback so it is mostly a painless affair to revert to a previous package version if a new version breaks your system.

As FlintLock pointed out they are rolling release, so simply running an update will bring your box up to the latest in Arch packages.

I think it is worth a shot.

I am a huge Arch enthusiast. I recommend it to all actually, but as many will do with there distro. If you are wanting something that is well maintained and updated frequently then Arch may fit your style. As bleedingsamurai said "if you ever did run into issues, pacman will typically let you do a rollback so it is mostly a painless affair to revert to a previous package version". That about sums it up pacman will allow you to fix whatever you broke also dont forget about AUR.