Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Been using Linux for a while but haven't really looked at the nuts and bolts of it. I said to myself if I could get a fully functional ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch/Virtualbox problem

Hi all,

Been using Linux for a while but haven't really looked at the nuts and bolts of it. I said to myself if I could get a fully functional Arch Linux installation with a GUI up and running it would be my "coming of age" if you will. I'm running it in a VM using Virtualbox 4.0.8

So I followed the Beginners Guide to the letter and even managed to figure out a few problems on my own. I've done alright so far but I cannot seem to get the VB Guest Additions to work. I feel like I've tried absolutely everything.

I get an error saying "modprobe vboxguest failed".

DKMS is installed, my kernel headers are up to date and matching the running kernel, 3D acceleration is ticked in the VB host, my ATI drivers are installed and all the other required packages are installed. Google has nearly caught fire with me trying to figure this out. Is there something very fundamental I've missed here?

Just Joined!
    are you installing from pacman? try
    Code:
    # pacman -Syu virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-guest-modules
    I ran into problems installing it from the supplied disc image that's installed with vbox, and this took care of it for me.