Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I installing Arch Linux on my laptop using the 2010-05-i686 core iso. The problem is, it can't seem to find my wired internet connection. Doing an ifconfig -a only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation BroadCom ethernet controller not listing eth0 interface

Hello. I installing Arch Linux on my laptop using the 2010-05-i686 core iso. The problem is, it can't seem to find my wired internet connection. Doing an ifconfig -a only lists wlan0 and lo. Doing lspci I find that my ethernet controler is a:
    Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)

I use a D-link DIR-100 wired router with DHCP.

/etc/hosts
    Code:
    #
    # /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
    #

#<ip-address>     <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
    127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain       localhost archtop
    /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    #
    # /etc/resolv.conf
    #

#search <yourdomain.tld>
    #nameserver <ip>
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

# End of file
    Networking section of rc.conf
    Code:
    HOSTNAME="archtop"
    eth0="dhcp"
    INTERFACES=(eth0)
    gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
    ROUTES=(!gateway)
    Tell me if you need any more information, thanks in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Check the following wiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Ideapad_s10-3t

The computer may be different, but the broadcom chip for wired ethernet is the same, so I believe this should help you get it going.
    oz

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello and welcome!

Check the following wiki page:

*Can't post URL*

The computer may be different, but the broadcom chip for wired ethernet is the same, so I believe this should help you get it going.
    Thank you, by following both the suggestions I got the wired internet working. I'll mark this thread as solved, also, would you mind explaining why this fixed the issue?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome96 View Post
    would you mind explaining why this fixed the issue?
    Those broadcom modules (drivers) don't load by default with the Arch kernel, but adding them to your rc.conf or modprobe.conf file loads them so that your ethernet connection will work.

Glad you got it going and hope you'll have fun with Arch!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Those broadcom modules (drivers) don't load by default with the Arch kernel, but adding them to your rc.conf or modprobe.conf file loads them so that your ethernet connection will work.

Glad you got it going and hope you'll have fun with Arch!
    Then how come I had to both change the rc.conf and the modprobe.conf?

You shouldn't have had to change it in both locations. It should have worked with one or the other.

Just Joined!
    Hi. Me again. I messed around some more and stumbled upon something. For some reason, I no longer need to have any of those modules loaded, anyone have any idea why? It seems extremely odd to me.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome96 View Post
    For some reason, I no longer need to have any of those modules loaded, anyone have any idea why?
    Hello

If your broadcom chip uses the drivers indicated above, I'm pretty sure they have to be loaded for the ethernet device to work, whether they are loaded automatically by the kernel, or loaded by some other file as I don't see how the device could work without them. It sounds like you are having some configuration issues with Arch so you might want to check over the Beginners Guide and other wiki articles that relate to your hardware again to make sure your box is configured properly:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page
    oz

Are you saying you removed the modules from rc.conf and modprobe.conf and it's still working? Or you checked the list of loaded modules and they aren't there but it's still working? The latter would be strange indeed. The former not so much. Most driver modules are automatically detected and loaded. If you updated your system, it may be that whatever the problem was preventing them from autoloading before has been resolved.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Are you saying you removed the modules from rc.conf and modprobe.conf and it's still working? Or you checked the list of loaded modules and they aren't there but it's still working? The latter would be strange indeed. The former not so much. Most driver modules are automatically detected and loaded. If you updated your system, it may be that whatever the problem was preventing them from autoloading before has been resolved.
    Yes. I removed the modules from rc.conf and modprobe.conf and it's still working, however, the modules got auto-loaded, so I will assume there was a bug-fix.