Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm having trouble getting GNOME to start properly. Just doing a startx will give me the output: Fatal error: No screens found. Of course by then I realized that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME fails to start

Hello. I'm having trouble getting GNOME to start properly. Just doing a startx will give me the output: Fatal error: No screens found. Of course by then I realized that I must have forgotten to install my video card drivers, so I did. I did:
    pacman -S xf86-video-ati
    Problem being, I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Should I have one? I'm not really sure.

Anyhow, installing the driver as I just did didn't work; I am still getting the no screens error. What do I do now? I read the Wiki and it basicall tells me to install that, and then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which I do not have.

Note that I can get xorg-twm to start, it's GNOME that doesn't want to work.

EDIT:
    I think I might have found the possible culprit. I seems I have a corrupt install of my ati driver.
    pacman -S xf86-video-ati
    Gives me multiple, "file alread exists".
    While doing a
    pacman -R xf86-video-ati
    Will tell me it's not installed.

When I startx, it tells me that /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so is too short, could this be because the install is corrupt, and also, how do I fix this?
    Last edited by Awesome96; 07-21-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Trusted Penguin
    Are you out of disk space? (run "df")

Can you temporarily move the files installed by xf86-video-ati package to backup filenames, then try to install again?

Have you tried the "X -configure" command? It will attempt to auto-configure X and make a temporary config file for you. Some versions of X don't support that command though...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Are you out of disk space? (run "df")

Can you temporarily move the files installed by xf86-video-ati package to backup filenames, then try to install again?

Have you tried the "X -configure" command? It will attempt to auto-configure X and make a temporary config file for you. Some versions of X don't support that command though...
    I simply removed the conflicting files and installed it, and now it works.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close