Find the answer to your Linux question:
FIRST OFF: thank you to your forum for letting me actually join. The Arch forums wanted me to run something in arch, which oh DUH I NEED HELP TO GET ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to force the VESA driver on

FIRST OFF: thank you to your forum for letting me actually join. The Arch forums wanted me to run something in arch, which oh DUH I NEED HELP TO GET RUNNING

Okay so anyway I have arch installed and I'm at the point where I need to add users. Before I did that I updated the system with pacman -Syy and pacman -Syu

Rebooted

Now my graphics drivers are installed

PROBLEM: EVERY distro does this to me. EVERY SINGLE ONE. They force the horrible open source graphics drivers on my and since I'm using an HDMI monitor I have my screen stretched.

I need to force the vesa drivers for now untill I can install Catalyst which won't be till I at least have xfce installed(which I'm forced to use because Catalyst doesn't work with gnome 3. Why are graphics drivers such a mess)

How do you force the Vesa drivers on

EDIT: I physically can't see anything on the left side of the screen, but using the VESA driver I was find for all of installation and even up to the point where I was going some things in arch

Trusted Penguin
    You need a Device section in your xorg.conf file and change the Screen section to refer to it. Something like:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Card1"
            Driver      "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
    #        Device     "Card0"
            Device     "Card1"
            Monitor    "Monitor0"
            DefaultDepth     24
    blah
    blah
            EndSection
    EndSection
    Of course, you have to have the xorg vesa driver installed first.

Back up your existing xorg.conf first, too.

With some versions of X, you can test an xorg config file, too, with something like:

Code:
    X -config /root/xorg.conf.test
    hth

EDIT: The xorg.conf file is typically found at /etc/X11/xorg.conf but you may not find one there (or anywhere)! Sometimes you can do "X -configure" to generate one.

Just Joined!
    Trust me I found that answer in google by now. I don't have an xorg file though so BLAH

Good news though, by some gift from god I figured it out. Adding radeon.modeset=0 in grub fixed it. This should hold me off till I can install ATIs drivers

This isn't even an issue with Arch, I had the same issue on Ubuntu and Fedora so I know it had to be drivers.

Thanks for the help anyway

I don't have an xorg file though so BLAH
    Did you attempt to generate one, as suggested above?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.