Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I had arch linux installed on my laptop a while a back and decided to play around with it the other day. Unfortunately I had forgotten my user name ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Linux Instalation Killed Laptop

So I had arch linux installed on my laptop a while a back and decided to play around with it the other day. Unfortunately I had forgotten my user name to login. I decided the only course of action would be to reinstall Arch... So i popped in the CD and the computer booted into the installation menu. I did not continue to install Arch because I had to leave, so I hit the down arrow to stop the countdown timer and left the installation open on my computer. I later returned to find that my computer was off (it was not turned off by someone and the battery wasn't dead.) So naturally, I tried to turn it back on. I press the power button, the Lenovo screen appeared and then the computer immediately turns off... It now does this whenever I try to bootup. It does not even make it to the page where you can choose to access the bios menu... So I can't boot up from the HDD, or a CD... What happened? I hope my boot sector isn't ****ed, because this is my school laptop(which I need.) Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and Welcome.
    First off, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. With that said, I highly doubt that Arch itself killed your Laptop but it seems to me that the machine may have overheated or something while left on the install screen. I think at this point the boot sector is that least of your worries, I would be more concerned about the CPU being overheated. If it were a HDD failure, I think you'd get at least a "operating system not found" type of error. If you can't get to the BIOS, that means big trouble. If you can take the machine apart, you might be able to pinpoint things further. You might find a fan that isn't working any longer or something simple like that. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome.
    First off, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. With that said, I highly doubt that Arch itself killed your Laptop but it seems to me that the machine may have overheated or something while left on the install screen. I think at this point the boot sector is that least of your worries, I would be more concerned about the CPU being overheated. If it were a HDD failure, I think you'd get at least a "operating system not found" type of error. If you can't get to the BIOS, that means big trouble. If you can take the machine apart, you might be able to pinpoint things further. You might find a fan that isn't working any longer or something simple like that. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Thanks, ill open it up and take a look.