Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Yes, I know that Arch is a rolling release system that has some of the newest versions of packages available, and this includes Xorg. The thing is that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X.Org how to generate xorg.conf?

Hello.

Yes, I know that Arch is a rolling release system that has some of the newest versions of packages available, and this includes Xorg.

The thing is that the installation of Xorg no longer creates a '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' like it used to, instead now relying on auto-detection features.

I've read enough to know that if a xorg.conf is present it will still be used, but how would I create, or generate, one with the proper device options available?

Is there any way the auto-detected features could be written to a xorg.conf, or log file? It's not like I'll be changing the any of the system's hardware any time soon.

In the past I've relied on the auto creation of this file, and edited it from there. So... I'm unsure how to do create it manually, sorry.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Try running this with root permissions in a console:

Code:
    Xorg :1 -configure
    That should create an xorg.conf.new file in /root/ that you can copy over to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Check the manual page for more info about the options available to you in xorg.conf:

Code:
    man xorg.conf
    oz

Just Joined!
    I had created a config using the 'Xorg -configure' command at one point, but when testing it with 'Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new', it hung at a black screen. Switching back to tty1, I saw this is where the output stopped.

Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
    Need at least 15187 kB video memory at this resolution, bit depth
    Strangely enough, this error message is displayed in the 'Xorg.*.log' file even when the default setup loads to the desktop. I don't think this card supports DRI anyways as it's really old. (Matrox G200 PCI)

If I rename that very 'xorg.conf.new' to 'xorg.conf', and drop it into any of the scanned folders mentioned in the man page, it seems to be ignored. Could there be a problem doing this as root?

I also didn't notice a section defining the screen resolution. Sorry, I've been using Nvidia drivers on my main PC for the last year, or so. Last time I had to edit a xorg.conf it had clearly defined resolution, and bit depth, entries.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThere View Post
    I've been using Nvidia drivers on my main PC for the last year, or so. Last time I had to edit a xorg.conf it had clearly defined resolution, and bit depth, entries.
    If you are still using nVidia drivers, you can try creating your xorg.conf file with the nvidia-xconfig command. It should still work unless they've changed something since the last time I used it.
    oz