Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I installed arch Linux with gnome-shell I don't think I am going to like gnome 3 I was wondering what the rest of you like to run for the DE. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

desktop enviroments

I installed arch Linux with gnome-shell I don't think I am going to like gnome 3 I was wondering what the rest of you like to run for the DE. I want some thing more familiar to gnome 2. I was also wondering if I could install more than one DE and switch between them.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can install multiple DEs and window managers. Personally I'm not yet keen on GNOME 3, so I've pretty much stuck with GNOME 2.x and KDE 4.x on my systems. You should be able to use the login manager to select the DE you want to use after your system boots.

I use KDE and yes, you can install many different DE's and switch between them at will.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since gnome 3 I prefer KDE also. But you can use more light DEs also like : LXDE & Xfce. You can install all of them if you have enough space and try to see with one you like. Arch is the best distribution out there for KDE, nice choice

Gnome 3 doesn't really sit well with me, so right now I'm still using 2.x.
    Don't forget about the other Window Managers, though.
    I have used OpenBox, JWM, TWM... but my favorite to date is IceWM.

Play around with them, have some fun with it.

Window Managers for X
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    I'm looking for one that I can tweek easily and has a lot of eye candy.

Have you considered Enlightenment? I've not used it, but I have seen some great looking screenshots of systems using it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    I'll give it a try I just downloaded kde I'm pretty impressed with that.

Linux Newbie
    I tried out Enlightenment not good for my desktop I think I'm gonna use kde if I don't find something better.
    I don't like how you have to hold the mouse buttons down while going through a menue.
    Enlightenment looks like it would be very nice on a tablet or any thing with a touch screen.
    If I ever buy one I would really consider putting Enlightenment on it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by electroman6913 View Post
    I installed arch Linux with gnome-shell I don't think I am going to like gnome 3 I was wondering what the rest of you like to run for the DE. I want some thing more familiar to gnome 2.
    After running and experimenting with Arch for the last 6 years, I've tried just about every DE and WM out there, multiple times. In the end, it turns out there are plenty of annoyances with every one of them, some of them major in nature. Currently, I switch back and forth between Gnome, KDE4, and Xfce, (all on different systems) but I'm always game to try something else if it might have fewer annoyances, or if it works better for my own needs.

That said, I'm not a big fan of mixing different desktop environments or window managers on the same system, although plenty of users mix them up every day.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast