Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all; i am using a hp compaq dc 5850. it has integrated graphics with no option in BIOS to disable the integrated graphics. i want to use a video ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Bios and video issue

hello all;
    i am using a hp compaq dc 5850. it has integrated graphics with no option in BIOS to disable the integrated graphics.

i want to use a video card, problem is when i start linux the screen goes blank, i believe it is the video issue. when i take the video card out linux starts and keeps the display.

does anyone know if there is a way to either install a BIOS that will work for my machine and be configureable so as to disable the integrated video, or can someone tell me if i can tweak my ARCH to stop seeing or just not use the integrated graphics and to use the card instead?

Trusted Penguin
    Is there an option in the BIOS to change the Primary Video Adapter from Onboard to PCI? See this doc (scroll down to see screenshot of BIOS setup).

I assume you loaded the drivers for the "new" card in Arch.

Just Joined!

Talking Bios and video issue

turns out it is the nvidia card the 9500, doesnt get a driver so it doesnt matter what machine or distro i use. i still have to boot in as 'nomodeset' and intall the driver later.

arch is too hard for this linux noob anyway, i have switched to fedora untill i get more experience.

thanks

Just Joined!

Cool nvidia

switched to Xfce, now no problems