Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a problem that when I try to start my computer I get somethin like this: INIT: version 2.88 booting INIT: No inittab file found Enter runlevel: I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Inittab not found error

Hi
    I have a problem that when I try to start my computer I get somethin like this:

INIT: version 2.88 booting
    INIT: No inittab file found

Enter runlevel:

I tried to google on problem and like i understand I have something wrong with my /etc/inittrab file. The problem is that i have no idea how to copy a new file insted, or what ever more I can do.

I tried to boot from a archiso usb and access my /etc/inittab but i did not found some way to do that.

I would be very grateful for all help!
    \\diavol
    Last edited by diavol; 10-04-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Linux Guru
    Is this a new installation of Arch Linux?
    Do you have the Arch CD?
    Is it a Live CD or just an install?
    If you can boot a Live CD, open a terminal and log in as root user to get partition information. Normally, you would do that by typing su in the terminal. I would not expect you would need a password so just hit the enter key and if you get a prompt with a hash mark (#) you should be root. Then type fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) to get drive/partition information to post. I don't use Arch, so if that doesn't work for some reason post back specifically what you did and what happened.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
    No, it is not a new installation, and I do not have some live usb, just a regular sutup USB. I tried to do a live USB, I failed on that but I try it again.
    When it came to partitions so it is just rugular linux partition, 200 MiB boot, 3GiB swap, 150GiB rest. Uses ext2fs.

\\diavol

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you've been using Arch and this problem just occurred it would be important to note what changes were made immediately prior to the error. If you don't have a Live CD/USB you can use to access the system, there's not much to be done.