Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is the first time trying arch and without DE. What do you guys install to get icons in thunar and make things look nice? I installed xcompmgr but what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Post install questions about Arch + Openbox

This is the first time trying arch and without DE.

What do you guys install to get icons in thunar and make things look nice?

I installed xcompmgr but what file do i edit for it to start automatically?

I also have to stat wicd manually and i would like that to automatically load when the system starts?

I would also like some kind of panel with programs open and small icons of programs running in the background like wicd.

Any hints & tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 10-16-2011 at 11:32 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    The wiki covers installing and running openbox on arch in quite a bit of detail so I'd highly recommend reading through it if you haven't done so already:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...hemes_and_Apps

If you've not already found it, the wiki also give details on starting wicd at login:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd

If you are running into problems with any of the instructions presented, let us know which parts are giving you trouble so that we can try to help you.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    wicd i have read though that already and i did not see instructions on how to start it automatically unless mean add "wicd" to DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf i have already done that and it does not start automaticaly.

EDIT: OPPs i had a type "wcid" instead of "wicd"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post
    wicd i have read though that already and i did not see instructions on how to start it automatically
    Instructions from the wiki:

You can add wicd-client to your DE/WM startup to have the application start when you log in.

Note: Some users have had an issue with two wicd-client processes when using this method. There has been discussion about this in the Arch forums and Arch bug reports (see Wicd#External_links). It appears that the wicd package puts a file in /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop, which will autostart wicd-client upon login to your DE/WM. If this is the case, you will have two wicd-clients running if you add an additional wicd-client to your DE/WM startup file. Should that occur, confirm that the wicd-tray.desktop file exists in /etc/xdg/autostart; if so, having wicd in the daemons list of /etc/rc.conf is sufficient.
    Did you try that yet?
    oz

Linux Newbie
    correcting my typo fixed the problem.

when you say start up of DE/WM. Since I'm not installing a DE im just using WM which is openbox would i put the programs that i want to start automatically in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh ?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post
    Since I'm not installing a DE im just using WM which is openbox would i put the programs that i want to start in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh ?
    The autostart.sh file no longer has the .sh on the end of it, and it's just called autostart, now. Instructions for using it can be found in the link posted above, or you can find the exact spot in the wiki article by clicking the link below:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...artup_programs
    oz

Linux Newbie
    i installed cairo-dock and cairo-dock-plug-ins from AUR but when i run cairo-dock it says it cant find plugins and it exits.

sidenote:
    installed slim and its working great
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 10-17-2011 at 02:22 AM.