Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have dual booted my late 2009 Macbook Pro with Arch, and the install went perfectly. I have set up ethernet, and that works, so I have internet. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up Wifi on new Arch Linux system.

I have dual booted my late 2009 Macbook Pro with Arch, and the install went perfectly. I have set up ethernet, and that works, so I have internet. I am a complete noob when it comes to Wireless, and my card is a Broadcom BCM4322. It says i have to use the broadcom-wl driver... how can I install it? And how can i set up my wireless? I used the guide on the Wireless setup page.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by persiankid400 View Post
    my card is a Broadcom BCM4322. It says i have to use the broadcom-wl driver... how can I install it? And how can i set up my wireless?
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Arch has a nice wiki page on setting up Broadcom wireless that should help to get you up and running:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply. I dont know why I haven't found that page yet. I have both the tar.gz fiels from broadcom and from the AUR. Is there a noob friendly guide on installing packages from the AUR? After I install the drivers, what are the next steps on setting up wifi.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Is there a noob friendly guide on installing packages from the AUR?
    Here you go...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I followed the instructions on the Broadcom page, for broadcom-wl. I downloaded the tarball from the site using wget, while at school, using ethernet, and extracted it to a directory. I then did makepkg, but it gave me this error:

cat: /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/version/ -no file or directory

THen it gave me 2 unkown errors.

oz
    forum.guy
    Ok, so I followed the instructions on the Broadcom page, for broadcom-wl.
    Unless there is some good reason for not installing the AUR package, I'd recommend using it rather than installing from source because it will allow you to use pacman to install the driver package along with any dependencies, plus pacman can then be used to remove the package(s) should you need to do so. Even then these drivers can prove to be very problematic from what I've read on the wiki pages.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yea, the AUR gives me this error:
    cat: /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/version/ -no file or directory

THen it gave me 2 unkown errors
    when i ran makepkg. this is the 3rd step in the AUR instructions.

Just Joined!
    Edit that, I decided to compile from the source, and it worked like a charm. I installed the driver, and set it to boot using the instructions on the official Broadcom page. I have a few problems, instead of it being named wlan0, it is named eth1. And I cant connect to my school's WEP wireless, and my houses WPA2 Personal, using the Wiki instrctions.

I've not used Arch, but I can help get some extra info

Which wiki page did you use? This one looks quite helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ess_management
    If that's the page that you used, what method did you try? Wicd? Network Manager, or manual config?
    What errors (if any) did you get?
    And, just to make sure we know everything is installed correctly, are you able to connect to any wireless network?
    Last edited by jayd512; 12-16-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I fixed the wifi, so all is well. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast