Find the answer to your Linux question:
I followed all the instructions on the xorg arch wiki page, but when i try to start x with the startx command, it gives me a black screen, and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with startx on Arch Linux system.

I followed all the instructions on the xorg arch wiki page, but when i try to start x with the startx command, it gives me a black screen, and i have to force shutdown my mac. The wiki says that if there is an empty .xinitrc file in the home directory it will display a blank screen, but I dont have one. I checked the Log file, and these are the errors i got. I have installed drivers for nvidia using pacman .

2327.275 Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)

2327.276 failed to load module "nvidia"(moidule does not exist, 0)

2327.281 NV: The PCI device 0x10de0863 (Geforce 9400M) at 02(AT*)00:00:0 has a kernel module claiming it.
    2327.281 NV: This driver cannot operate until it has been unloaded.

*I cant type an "at" sign, so yea.

Which drivers did you install nvidia, nv or nouveau ? Which packages ... run pacman -Q and confirm which xf86-video-??? and ??nvidia??
    Run lspci -vk and confirm which module has claimed the graphics card.
    Generally you should avoid having nvidia nv and nouveau drivers on the same system as they conflict. You could also try the vesa driver to confirm X is working correctly.
    Search the ArchLinux wiki for nvidia or nouveau depending on which you are intending using.
    Also which desktop environment or window manager are you using?

Have you followed the wiki page for setting up your GUI?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I think thats the problem. I have installed nv, and nouveau. Should I uninstall these with pacman -R?

Just Joined!
    When I try to install gnome from pacman, it gives me alot of lines saying that some files/directories already exist. THen it says that no packages were upgraded. Is it supposed to be like this? How can i fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by persiankid400 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think thats the problem. I have installed nv, and nouveau. Should I uninstall these with pacman -R?
    yes - you only need one or the other ... nouveau is suggested if it works with your graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by persiankid400 View Post
    When I try to install gnome from pacman, it gives me alot of lines saying that some files/directories already exist. THen it says that no packages were upgraded. Is it supposed to be like this? How can i fix this?
    check output of pacman -Q | grep gnome to see if it is installed ...