Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hate the way I connect to wi-fi atm and would like an alternative. The way I'm doing it right now is Code: ip link set wlan0 up wpa_supplicant -B ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 Things

I hate the way I connect to wi-fi atm and would like an alternative. The way I'm doing it right now is
    Code:
    ip link set wlan0 up
    wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    dhcpcd wlan0
    I've tried WICD and some other network manager, but I couldn't get it to work, so if anyone has any suggestions or could help me with this, it would be very appreciated.

Onto the other thing. I've been using arch linux for a while now and it's time a do a clean up (remove program's I don't use anymore or hardly use). When I first installed arch linux, I installed a lot of programs that I thought I would use, but I ended up never using them. I've already removed the programs that
    Code:
    pacman -Qdt
    reported. If you have any advice about this it would also be very appreciated.

I am fairly new to gnu/linux and arch linux is the first distro I've ever used. I have no plan's on changing to another distro either. I just want to do some tweaks and what not.

1) I've generally been successful with wicd, so it's unfortunate it's causing problems. When you say that you can't get it to work, what does that mean? What problem are you having?

2) Another thing you could do is look at /usr/bin and look at the binaries there that you don't use. You can run "pamcan -Qo /path/to/file" to find out the package that owns that file, and uninstall it if you don't use it.

Do be careful with this, though, as some binaries are fairly important for other programs, even if you don't use them directly.

Just Joined!
    I'll give wicd a try again. I was fairly new when I tried wicd, so maybe now that I have more experience with arch I'll be able to get it to work.

I'll let you know how the second one goes.

EDIT: I got wicd to work. I think I added wicd before dbus the first time I installed wicd.
    Last edited by Cobra_Magick; 12-31-2011 at 07:35 PM.

there is no easy way of cleaning up a system with explicitly installed packages ... pacman just did what you asked

when I have a clear out I run
    Code:
    pacman -Qi $(pacman -Qqe) | less
    and go through the list reviewing every package description, some were installed by me ... which I usually recognise and others were required as part of the system install. I remove everything I am happy to get rid of and then run
    Code:
    yaourt -Qdt
    same as pacman -Qdt but it prompts you to remove packages

This link, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php....28optional.29, got me up and running in terms of automatically connecting to my wireless access point at home. Now every time I boot the laptop it connects on it's own.
    Glenn