Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I just went through the whole install for Arch Linux on Virtualbox, but when I reboot it just shows the same page it did before I installed it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I tell if I have installed this or not?

Hi guys

I just went through the whole install for Arch Linux on Virtualbox, but when I reboot it just shows the same page it did before I installed it. I kind of expected it to boot into a welcome screen or something to tell me I was actually in the operating system.

There is a command line interface of sorts, but not one I know, I can't find a way to see the file system and when I typed in the file path for the official guide thing on that page it said access denied.

What am I looking at here please? I am used to terminal with commands like ls for listing what is in the directory and cd for changing directory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jonny

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFrond View Post
    How can I tell if I have installed this or not?
    Arch has an excellent wiki that's loaded with good information about configuring and using it. You can use pacman to see if you have installed a certain package:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

You'll need root permissions to run the commands there, so you'll need to either use the su command, or sudo. You can find some good tips on using the Linux command line at linuxcommand.org

Hope you have fun with Arch!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok, appologies for being such a cretin. I was looking the terminal straight in the eye. If there are no files in your home folder, there is nothing there to list is there!!

Regards

Jonny

Linux Newbie
    I hope you took the Arch Iso off from the media drive and are not booting off of it.

Just Joined!
    You know, that was exactly what I was doing. Still I guess we all have to start somewhere.