Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Trying to install Arch on virtualbox, and was going to try the wireless set up, but I can't find out what card is in these things. I know linux supports ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless card Macbook Pro

Trying to install Arch on virtualbox, and was going to try the wireless set up, but I can't find out what card is in these things. I know linux supports it as I have ubuntu on here and it works fine.

Anyone know this so I can install the right driver?

Regards

Jonny

Take a look here.
    Post your results back here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Don't know your VM situation, but usually with a VM you're dealing with a virtual bridge interface (e.g. virbr0), and the host OS handles the actual hardware driver.

But if you have Ubuntu running, lspci should tell you something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    <face palm>
    I gotta pay more attention to VMware questions!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    <face palm>
    I gotta pay more attention to VMware questions!
    Well. OP is talking virtualbox, not VMWare, but it could be any version, and it's not stated whether the Ubuntu instance is on hardware or virtual, so it's difficult to give clear advice.

Just Joined!
    Right then guys, thanks for your replies, if anything, I have learned to post things correctly here.

Spec:
    Standard 2011 Macbook Pro with 2GHz i7 processor.
    OSX Snow Leopard
    Virtualbox version 4.1.8
    Running Ubuntu 11.04

The wireless has always just worked with this, I was able to get onto the net the first time I booted ubuntu. Now that I poke about, I can't work out how, as the only thing in the network settings is in the wired connection

Auto eth0

which is the standard ethernet port I think. If I go into the virtualbox setting's, Network Adapters attached to NAT. Cable connected is ticked.

In this particular case, I would like to be able to get some connection to the net, as I am using this to learn about Arch and how to build a linux system for when I get my new box (second hand - to be set up as a server after exams) So I am not so bothered as to whether it is through wireless or bridged somehow.

I have read the wireless set up page and it seems straight forward, though not through virtualisation on a mac. Now I look at it, it is slightly overkill, a little like engraving the insides of a crankcase on a motorcycle - time consuming and do one will see or benefit from it.

I would like a connection though and I am not familiar enough with bash to carve this out myself, just point me at the sky and let me fly.

Any help here just to give me that internet would be a boon.

Kind regards

Jonny

OK, so OSX is the host OS? That's where you would "see" the wireless adapter. I'm not prepared to replicate your setup (wouldn't dare mess with MrsMudgen's Mac), but I suspect it's normal for VB and Ubuntu to see a wired connection, as it's an emulation. Does the wireless work in OSX? VB by default does NAT rather than bridging. What does "iptables-save" say?

Since you can't get a wireless connection with the host OS, that's where you would want to start.
    I'm not familiar enough with OSX to be able to help with that.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Wireless on mac is fine, and I can get the internet on Ubuntu which is isntalled as a virtual image on Virtual box. I am writing this post through ubuntu as we speak.

Is the what you mean by ip tables?

10.0.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth0
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0
    default 10.0.2.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I have cut this straight out of the terminal window.

Regards

Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFrond View Post
    Wireless on mac is fine, and I can get the internet on Ubuntu which is isntalled as a virtual image on Virtual box. I am writing this post through ubuntu as we speak.

Is the what you mean by ip tables?

10.0.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth0
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0
    default 10.0.2.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I have cut this straight out of the terminal window.

Regards

Jonny
    No, that looks like a "netstat -r" with the column headings missing. But it's useful. That's from Arch?

Give us a "sudo ifconfig" and a "sudo iptables-save" cut/paste from the working Ubuntu and the non-working Arch and we may be able to figure this out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast