Find the answer to your Linux question:
I Arch Linux mostly for business people? How does it compare to SuSE or Fedora? Thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Who is Arch made for?

I Arch Linux mostly for business people? How does it compare to SuSE or Fedora? Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by PYTH0N View Post
    I Arch Linux mostly for business people? How does it compare to SuSE or Fedora? Thanks!
    The Arch user-base has established an excellent wiki that should answer pretty much any question that you'd have about Arch Linux, its history, and usage:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

Note that Arch is generally not a good choice for new Linux users, although plenty of them have had success with it when they put the required effort into it. That said, some users do run Arch for business purposes, but it is mostly used by desktop users that like to configure their machines using the command line and manual efforts rather than automated GUI tools such as those you'd find in many other distributions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok. Thats a big help! Thanks.

Arch Linux is an outstanding distribution of GNU/Linux. It wasn't created for any specific type user. It is not a commercial GNU/Linux like SuSE or RedHat. However, it is a full-fledged, fully functioning, fully supported (by dedicated volunteers), and regularly updated distribution. It has a large community base and absolutely outstanding documentation via the aforementioned wiki.

Most Archers are passionate about their choice of GNU/Linux. You'll find a one of these types at Scot's Newsletter Forums - Bruno's All Things Linux. He is an Admin there. Ask for SecurityBreach. He'll be more the happy to help you with all your Arch inquiries. Check out his Arch Installation Tutorial --> forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=27596

Give Arch a try. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's a bit more involved with a wee bit steeper learning curve than the "MS Windows transition" Linuxes like Ubuntu and Mint, but if you don't mind investing some time to learn it, I would venture to say that you won't be disappointed.

I use Arch as my secondary OS on my main system. It's stable as a rock. It's a rolling release distribution; meaning that you'll just need to update regularly, but should never need to reinstall it.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

~Eric aka Nocturnal Slacker

Just Joined!
    ArchBang is a sensible alternative, to explore the distro without having to build from scratch.