Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Linux for the past 4 or so years, and I've done a lot of distro switching in that time. A few months back I stumbled on Arch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Arch/Overclocking/thinking of switching distros

I've been using Linux for the past 4 or so years, and I've done a lot of distro switching in that time. A few months back I stumbled on Arch and loved it. Lately, though, I've been having more than my share of problems with things just breaking, either from updates or some mysterious cause. I've been able to resolve them all until now. In this most recent WTF moment, I just upgraded my cpu to a 2700k and went to overclock it. At first, the overclock seemed good. The system booted, I reran sensors-detect, and opened gkrellm only to find no cpu frequencies listed. After about two hours of trying to get that to work, I settled on another front end that displayed the cpu at stock speeds... stock speeds. It was set at 4.8ghz. I even ran Mprime to double check it wasn't a scaling thing. From there I decided to check the BIOS for the cause. I disabled some power saving things and tried to boot again. This time Arch throws up infinite error messages on the boot and never actually gets anywhere. When I reset to stock speeds it worked fine. WTF! I'm no expert, but I've never had anything like this happen before. Combine that with kernal updates breaking the GUI once a month and other periodic nonsense, and I'm seriously thinking of switching distros again, Fedora, maybe Gentoo. My question is then, am I the only one experiencing this with Arch? Am I missing something on this OC? Should I just cut my losses and switch?

Arch is designed for people who know how to configure a GNU-Linux system and, more importantly, are willing to do it. Arch is a rolling release, meaning new programmes are added as soon as they are released. Bugs and "breakage" is the price one pays to be "bleeding edge." Arch is an OS for computer enthusiasts.

If you want a stable system, then your best bets are systems like Debian and Slackware. Debian does not add new programmes to the Stable release, until all the bugs are worked out. The programmes are a little older (one or two years), but they work, and up-dates do not break the system. Slackware appears (from what I know) to also be stable. However, it requires a bit of knowledge to configure and maintain.

I have never used Gentoo, but from what I have read, it is similar to Arch.

I hope Arch users do not interpret this as a slight against Arch. My comments are not criticisms of Arch, but rather compliments to its users, who get joy from a system they know how to use.

Just Joined!
    I'm aware of the fact that Arch requires a high degree of configuration. I actually ran a Debain system for about a year before switching to Arch, a switch I made because Debian was a little too stable. I guess in this case I was just ranting because I thought an Arch update had broken something else, but this time it actually wasn't Arch. I jumped to conclusions following the frustration I had with the KDE 4.8 update in Arch. In reality this was all due to a BIOS issue.