Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
--(NOTE: Something like this has been posted before but It only got one reply so I am going to ask again in a more simple way).-- I install Arch Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Linux Wifi setup

--(NOTE: Something like this has been posted before but It only got one reply so I am going to ask again in a more simple way).--

I install Arch Linux in my Oracle VM. When I boot it I just get the black terminal. I need to install a package to get my desktop environment. But my wifi is not working so I can't install that package. How do I go about setting up my wifi in Arch? (I am running windows 7).

You can do wifi setup during installation if you use the core image. You need to install the driver for your card, as well as tools to manage the connection. NetworkManager is a very popular tool, though I personally use wicd, since it's a bit more minimalist.

Have you seen this guide?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
    You can do wifi setup during installation if you use the core image. You need to install the driver for your card, as well as tools to manage the connection. NetworkManager is a very popular tool, though I personally use wicd, since it's a bit more minimalist.

Have you seen this guide?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup
    Ok. Thanks a lot. Now, will all of this (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup) work even when I am running Arch in Oracle VM?

Just Joined!
    When I ran this: lspci | grep -i net
    I got: 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 81540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Does that look right? Reason I ask is because when I try to update I fails...

I think you setup VirtualBox and give the guest OS (in this case Arch) access to a network. I don't run VirtualBox under Windows but in Linux the network interface is a virtual one rather than direct access to hardware.

Just Joined!
    Hm... that is what I thought to. Maybe I have a setting wrong within the virtual machine settings. I have Enable Network Adapter checked and it is "Attached to": NAT. I am using wireless internet...

Do those settings seem right?

the network controller is the same controller as I have listed in virtualbox ... I know in Linux the host must run some things to allow the guest to access networks etc (take a look on the Arch wiki for virtualbox) ... maybe the equivalent is need in Windows.

Ed: this means the guest OS thinks its connected as a wired rather than wireless connection - you don't set up wireless on the guest OS

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    the network controller is the same controller as I have listed in virtualbox ... I know in Linux the host must run some things to allow the guest to access networks etc (take a look on the Arch wiki for virtualbox) ... maybe the equivalent is need in Windows.

Ed: this means the guest OS thinks its connected as a wired rather than wireless connection - you don't set up wireless on the guest OS
    Ok... so you are saying that I have to plug in via Ethernet?

I haven't used a VM for a while, but when I did it was on a laptop.
    While I was using the main OS wirelessly, the guest OS was reading the connection as a physical one.

Basically, it's like the guest is "plugged into" the main OS.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I haven't used a VM for a while, but when I did it was on a laptop.
    While I was using the main OS wirelessly, the guest OS was reading the connection as a physical one.

Basically, it's like the guest is "plugged into" the main OS.
    I've not used a VM in awhile either but it seems like the network in the Guest OS was just referred to as a "bridge" or maybe I'm just remembering wrong.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast