Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear friends, I failed totally to install Arch into VM player neither Virtual box (Windows 7 is host). In both cases the screen resolution just did not show the text-based ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Good question... not long before seprated, so I'll change my residence nearest days...

during installation the resolution does not show text-based controls

Dear friends,
    I failed totally to install Arch into VM player neither Virtual box (Windows 7 is host). In both cases the screen resolution just did not show the text-based "controls" eg: ^X to exit (and save after on "Y") when configs started. Yes, I had to ignore configs just jumping to "Done". But the boot-loader step (step 7, I suggest) just puts into shell, and there is no text-based control... That lucky controls to exit (ctrl x).
    Ye, I see that nice tutorials in y-tube, I put 'vga=773' (and many more) from the very start. The screen stayed like a rock - never shows controls at all.
    I've tried just to exit pressing Ctrl+X, it does not react, just blinking.
    My notebook is Q615, screen 1366:768, the Processor

Number of cores 2 (max 2)
    Number of threads 2 (max 2)
    Name AMD Turion X2 RM-76
    Codename Griffin
    Specification AMD Turion(tm)X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-76
    Package Socket S1 ( 63
    CPUID F.3.1
    Extended CPUID 11.3
    Brand ID 6
    Core Stepping LG-B1
    Technology 65 nm
    TDP Limit 43 Watts
    Core Speed 578.1 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 2.88 x 201.1 MHz
    HT Link speed 1809.6 MHz
    Stock frequency 2300 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, AMD-V

I would highly appreciate to have any suggestion, including "This distro is not for you, Bro...".
    ... But I would left Windows today even for good...
    Barrie

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With VirtualBox, install normally (use GUI mode if you can), then after you have installed and booted the virtual machine, install the guest additions. That will give you full video control over resolution, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    With VirtualBox, install normally (use GUI mode if you can), then after you have installed and booted the virtual machine, install the guest additions. That will give you full video control over resolution, etc.
    Unless the installer has changed dramatically since my last install - Arch installer is text based. You use the install to put the base system only on the PC and then pull in X, a Window Manager or Desktop Environment etc and applications you want using pacman after the install.

Assuming you can see the text to do the install and pull in the other applications you want and intend to install a gui then complete the install and add the guest additions later (using pacman) - see the Arch Linux wiki here.