Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed arch using netinstall in virtualbox on ubuntu 12.04 x64, and now I am having some sort of headache with this pacman 4.0.3. I am trying to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)...

I have installed arch using netinstall in virtualbox on ubuntu 12.04 x64, and now I am having some sort of headache with this pacman 4.0.3.

I am trying to install base Xorg packages using this command:

Code:
    # pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-server-utils
    as given in the beginner's guide, it downloads the packages, but while installing shows this after checking the package integrity:

Code:
    error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
    Errors occured, no packages were upgraded.
    It shows the same thing for whatever package I am trying to install. It showed some package signature errors before, but after I have done what has been said in this blog:

http allanmcrae com 2011 12 pacman-package-signing-4-arch-linux

it shows the errors quoted above.

Also, I would have pasted the whole terminal output - but it's on VM, and I can't get the terminal output inside that VM to ubuntu(so that I can paste it here), pacman giving problems seems to make this even harder.

I am not sure what I have messed up as I am installing it for first time, so I am waiting for some help. Thanks!

I take it you tried a pacman -Syu and still have the same problem ...
    can you post the contents of /etc/pacman.conf ... btw why don't you setup a shared folder and cp info to it from the vm? redirect output from the terminal 1>normal_output etc

Oh, yes I did that too.

I asked this question sometime ago, and after waiting for some time, I asked it on Arch Linux forums too.

You can see that thread here:

https bbs archlinux org viewtopic php id=142022

If you don't mind, you can look at the screenshots I have posted in that thread to see settings in /etc/pacman.conf file. They are still the same.

I would have pasted the /etc/pacman.conf here - but the same error comes up even when I try to install virtualbox guest additions in Arch, so I can't access a shared folder without it, and no terminal output.

TBH, at this point of time, I am thinking this error might be due to some error that might have occured during netinstall, although I am not sure about such a possilbility.

Have you checked information in /var/log/pacman.log
    Although package signing is fairly new to pacman - I think checksums should have picked up a bad download.
    You could try disabling package signing on a temporary basis to see if that is causing the issue - putting
    SigLevel = Never
    in /etc/pacman.conf

If its signature problems then you could wipe the key info and start again ... resetting all the keys info at the bottom of pacman-key wiki page here