Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so here is my problem. i have a kde 4.8 instal and i am looking to create a linux distro based on arch. i have all the stuff working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation /etc/skel administrative trouble

ok so here is my problem. i have a kde 4.8 instal and i am looking to create a linux distro based on arch. i have all the stuff working like sound, custom desktop activity, widgets you name it and i have most likly done somthing to it. any who my trouble is /etc/skel. i coppied all the hidden conf files from my home folder, "i mean all the hidden files" into the /etc/skel. and it worked out fine there were no coppy errors so i went on to make a new user account to see if it worked. it worked fine. it was all just the way i wanted it but then the computer cought up with me and brought up like 16 password prompts from my dummy accound asking for permission to use nepomuk or what ever that thing is called. i have tried a lot of stuff to get this to work without getting these first time loggon password things. they go away after the first login but like i said i want to give this to people and they arnt going to know what to do when they see this. pleas help me.

ok the jist of my problem is i am trying to take my custom kde4.8 desktop with all my docky stuff and custom sounds and panel arrangements and what have you. and make it so when a new user is made they see my custom desktop and not the default one.

ps: sorry for my spelling. i type realy fast and dont always know what i hit.

Linux Guru
    and it worked out fine
    Evidently not or you wouldn't be getting those errors. I'm really not clear on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to modify a system which you can then "remaster" and create an iso image which can be put on a CD/DVD? If you have for example, Desktop icons/links which you want, you will need to create a sub-directory named Desktop in the /etc/skel directory and copy the links there. I expect you would need to do the same for /home and create a sub-directory for a user, maybe named guest. I've never remastered with a specific user so I'm not really sure. Did you just copy these config files to the /etc/skel directory? I don't think that will work. Are you doing this from within the Arch installation after you have copied these files to /etc/skel?

I'm not really clear on your intent?

Just Joined!
    I am trying to take an existing system that i customised and make a bootable distro out of it. I want to be able to make a new user account and have that new user look exactly like my dummy default user

Linux Guru
    I've never tried to keep a user account during a remaster but I expect you would have to put a /home directory with a guest user sub-directory containing whatever configuration files you moved there. I'm not sure how you were getting the errors you reported in your first post when you used your dummy account? Were you trying to use the files in /etc/skel? Thos are all root:root unless you changed them.

After making all your changas in your guest account you will have to use the mkisofs command to create an iso image to boot and would have to have either the Grub or Isolinux files configured correctly to boot a CD/DVD. You would need to do this from a CD or another system on your computer. I've never used Arch so I don't know if there is any specific software for this purpose as there is with other distributions.

Just Joined!
    well i am not realy keeping a user. what i am doing here is trying out the /etc/skel method to see if it works thats all. if it does eventualy work i will move on to the stage of creating the live iso. to recap on what i need to happen, i need my docky settings transfered over to all new user accounts on the computer, i need my kde panel and widgets settings all transfered, i need my custom desktop background transfered over, ineed my exact desktop/user interface/whatever EXEPT the user name moved into a new user when it is created.

Linux Guru
    Going back to your first post. You first copied all the config files you wanted to the /etc/skel directory. You then created a user (how, GUI? command line? what command?) and logged in as that user and were prompted for a password to run various programs?? Were you prompted for a password to log in as the new user? Did you create a password for the new user? What are the permissions on the /home/newuser directory?

Just a guess here. But

i coppied all the hidden conf files from my home folder, "i mean all the hidden files" into the /etc/skel. and it worked out fine there were no coppy errors so i went on to make a new user account to see if it worked. it worked fine.
    It seems to me you need to take that customised /etc/skel and copy the internal contents over to the new /home directory for your new iso. This must be copied over as non root user to get rid of password problem you are having. Just a guess though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home