Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm not very professional in GNU/Linux world and recently started to install Arch linux. But i cant start Gnome-shell and it force to Fallback. In addition to, in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED]Gnome-shell won't start

Hello. I'm not very professional in GNU/Linux world and recently started to install Arch linux. But i cant start Gnome-shell and it force to Fallback. In addition to, in the Fallback mode, i can't change any parameters of gnome.
    get this message when run the command:
    Code:
    gnome-shell --replace

(gnome-shell:18571): Gdk-WARNING **: The program 'gnome-shell' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
      (Details: serial 132 error_code 1 request_code 139 minor_code 66)
      (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
       that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
       To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
       variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
       backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    I have ATI Graphic card (HD6850) and installed Catalyst 12.4
    Seems Catalyst installed without any problem and it's control panel works.
    I use GDM and the testing repo is not enable.
    And the .xsession-errors contains:
    Code:
    [vahid arch ~]$ cat .xsession-errors
    /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
    localuser:vahid being added to access control list
    /etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
    gnome-session[779]: WARNING: Session 'gnome' runnable check failed: Exited with code 1
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/vahid/.cache/keyring-hA8Z7l
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/vahid/.cache/keyring-hA8Z7l/ssh
    GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/vahid/.cache/keyring-hA8Z7l/gpg:0:1

(gnome-panel:855): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accelerator_parse_with_keycode: assertion `accelerator != NULL' failed

** (gnome-panel:855): WARNING **: Unable to parse mouse modifier '(null)'

Failed to play sound: File or data not found
    Initializing tracker-store...

** (nm-applet:876): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
    Initializing tracker-miner-fs...

** (nm-applet:876): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1.

** (nm-applet:876): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/vahid/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/vahid/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
    ** Message: Starting applet secret agent because GNOME Shell disappeared

** (nm-applet:876): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
    Starting log:
      File:'/home/vahid/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/vahid/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
    Starting log:
      File:'/home/vahid/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log'                                                                           
    ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area                                                                              

(nm-applet:876): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -23 and height 27                  
    ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area                                                                             
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.                                 
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.                                 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)                                
    kbuildsycoca4 running...                                                                                                              
    kbuildsycoca4(980) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: checking file timestamps
    kbuildsycoca4(980) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: timestamps check ok
    kbuildsycoca4(980) kdemain: Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ()
    At last i installed Gnome and KDE together.
    Is there anyone to help me?
    Last edited by vahid_d; 07-03-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Just Joined!
    i similarly had problems with gnome, so is kde running? kde worked for me but now i never removed my initial gnome attempt

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vingilot View Post
    i similarly had problems with gnome, so is kde running? kde worked for me but now i never removed my initial gnome attempt
    KDE works but im not sure the catalyst works well too. is there any way to check Catalyst?
    I dont like KDE I wanna work with Gnome, even older versions of it.

Just Joined!
    The problem solved with updating Catalyst to new version (12.6)