Find the answer to your Linux question:
After installing Apache Web Server on Arch Linux, I have error when running the following command to start the server: apachectl start When I do so, I get the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error while attempting to start Apache on Arch Linux

After installing Apache Web Server on Arch Linux, I have error when running the following command to start the server:

apachectl start

When I do so, I get the following error.

/usr/sbin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I tried installing lib32-pcre but to no avail. I update grep as well but to no avail. I need step by step instructions on getting this resolved.

I'm not an Arch user, but I found this page on the Arch Wiki.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Check the following directories and list the permissions of lib32-pcre:

/lib/i386-linux-gnu
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

At least those are the directories on my x86_64 ubuntu install which contain libpcre.so

It's owned by root, and the permissions are 644 on any of the files. Make sure all links have 777 permissions.

Can't find something on my system with exactly the same name, but they probably do the same thing. Hope that helps some.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jayd and Syndicate

I figured out what I was doing wrong, however, I did visit the specified site, and did look within /lib for the lib32-pcre file. I ended up running:

pacman -S pcre

and installed the libpcre files that were quiried. I did this initially though but to no avail but it just worked the second time around. I guess the system had the older version of pcre, and need the new pcre file because the install of Arch Linux that I was using, I guess, was not updated in a while, so all of the newer programs installed to Arch Linux did not abide by the old pcre it. Ultimately, it was appropriate to update/upgrade the pcre library.

Also, for people who are online looking for solution to similar issue with the missing pcre, can also symbolically link the older version of pcre to the newer version to make programs that rely on the newer version, work.

Also, I hear that one can also symbolically link pcre older version to newer version and then recompile a program that rely on the old version of pcre, so that it now rely on the newer version. I don't know how true this is but I read something of a sort on like five forums in my mania to find a solution to my problem. I hope I haven't confused anyone. And maybe others may be able to shed more like on this within this forum to save an individual a headache.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigues123 View Post
    Thanks Jayd and Syndicate

I figured out what I was doing wrong, however, I did visit the specified site, and did look within /lib for the lib32-pcre file. I ended up running:

pacman -S pcre

and installed the libpcre files that were quiried. I did this initially though but to no avail but it just worked the second time around. I guess the system had the older version of pcre, and need the new pcre file because the install of Arch Linux that I was using, I guess, was not updated in a while, so all of the newer programs installed to Arch Linux did not abide by the old pcre it. Ultimately, it was appropriate to update/upgrade the pcre library.

Also, for people who are online looking for solution to similar issue with the missing pcre, can also symbolically link the older version of pcre to the newer version to make programs that rely on the newer version, work.

Also, I hear that one can also symbolically link pcre older version to newer version and then recompile a program that rely on the old version of pcre, so that it now rely on the newer version. I don't know how true this is but I read something of a sort on like five forums in my mania to find a solution to my problem. I hope I haven't confused anyone. And maybe others may be able to shed more like on this within this forum to save an individual a headache.

Rod
    It's a shame that pacman's dependency setup isn't handling apache's dependencies very well.

The last part should prove true, though. Assuming backwards compatibility wasn't hurt at some point during pcre's development, the old versions can be replaced with a symbolic link to the newer version and a recompilation shouldn't actually be necessary. Though you could always just remove the older version and set the dependency for the new version.

Glad it's working for ya.

Just Joined!
    So how would I set the dependencies for a program?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigues123 View Post
    So how would I set the dependencies for a program?
    Sorry, not sure on that one.

There's a few very specific things with that, firstly being however they're listed in pacman's dependency resolution, and as for compilation, being however their compilation configuration dictates. I know neither for this instance .

Though the old version should work fine albeit bug fixes and/or optimizations (or possible regressions! haha) in the new version, as that's what the original dependencies were based upon.