Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using archlinux for long years then i decided to try splashimage for graphical boot on my laptop which is HP 550.Since that there is no booting problem.After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The system reboots automatically afterGrub is loading please wait ....

I have been using archlinux for long years then i decided to try splashimage for graphical boot on my laptop which is HP 550.Since that there is no booting problem.After installation of the grub-gfx package, i followed the instructions on wiki page of grub-gfx.It says you really need run the "grub-install".Then i run that command.Command gives no error with devicemap lines.Everything seems to be OK.But when i restart my machine
    first "Grub loading stage 1.5" after that "Grub is loading ..." lines appears then machine reboots automatically

Thanx for your co-op
    Last edited by gecici90; 08-02-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Linux Guru
    Which release of Arch do you have? Do you have Grub2 installed? or Grub Legacy? Is Arch the only system installed? You might go to the link below and download and run the bootinfocript and post the output (results.txt file) here. You will need a Linux Live CD to do this.

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Which release of Arch do you have? Do you have Grub2 installed? or Grub Legacy? Is Arch the only system installed? You might go to the link below and download and run the bootinfocript and post the output (results.txt file) here. You will need a Linux Live CD to do this.
    I installed Arch on my laptop 2 years ago, but i update very often so its always up to date.Of course its 64 bit version for HP550.I had grub-legacy installed but when i switch to the grub-gfx package, it says grub must be remove for grub-gfx package, so i've chosen Y at pacman question.Then it has been installed.So my problem appears at time of being that step.After all of my unsucceed attempts to recover the grub booting, i've tried the grub-legacy package reinstallation by using livecd, nothing changed.

I had the only one OS for my needs, but i have another OS (win7) installed for my work needs, here's the description of my disk
    /dev/sda1 linux swap
    /dev/sda2 / (root) linux
    /dev/sda3 Win7

I've attached the RESULTS.txt

Maybe the problem occurs cause of the 446 bytes boot code area corruption, i dont know whether that area is refreshable or not

if i'm not wrong the following command erases the boot code area without touching the next 64 bytes which have partition tables

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1
    After that, if i re-install grub with live cd, does it work?

By the way I tried rescatux also, rescatux restore grub menu goes very well to the final step, i didnt see any error or other things, but nothing changed when i rebooot the machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gecici90; 08-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The results.txt output looks good. It shows Arch Grub Legacy in the mbr pointing to sda2 which has the boot files and there is also a correct entry for windows. Have you made any changes since running the bootinfoscript? How did you try to reinstall Grub? The standard for Grub Legacy would be to open a terminal, log in as root and get to the grub prompt by typing grub. You should see: grub>: Enter the code below to reinstall Grub.

Code:
    root (hd0,1)
    setup (hd0)
    quit

Just Joined!
    Have you made any changes since running the bootinfoscript?
    No,I have not

How did you try to reinstall Grub?
    1. Boots with live cd
    2. make a directory for linux partition
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/arch
    2. mount sys dev proc
    Code:
    mount --bınd dev /mnt/arch/dev
    mount --bınd proc /mnt/arch/proc
    mount --bınd sys /mnt/arch/sys
    3. chroot
    Code:
    cd /mnt/arch
    Code:
    chroot .
    4. grub-install /dev/sda or
    Code:
    root (hd0,1)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    The standard for Grub Legacy would be to open a terminal, log in as root and get to the grub prompt by typing grub
    I didnt see any grub menu, it says only "Grub Stage 1.5 loading" after that line "Grub loading please wait..." after 2 seconds system reboots again automatically when i boot the system.So i have no area to enter the commands which you mentioned.I perform the grub installing by using the above methods.

I've decided to erase 446 bytes from mbr
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    Then i've tried to re-install grub by using the above methods, nothing changed again.I was very bored with this issue, decided to install grub2, follwed the instructions on wiki page yeah happy end it works.I dont know why it didnt work with grub, never mind

yancek thanks for your efforts
    Last edited by gecici90; 08-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.