Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was going to install Arch on one of my older computers last night but during the install I could not figure out how to change the HDD it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help with Install

I was going to install Arch on one of my older computers last night but during the install I could not figure out how to change the HDD it was trying to install to. The computer has 2 hard drives and it wanted to install to the wrong one. How to I change the drive it wants to install on?

This is the latest build with Fluxbox

Mactruck, I'd help but I am not familiar with Arch linux installer. Have you considered physically unplugging the drive you want to install to or disabling the drive in bios till after install is finished. I ran into something like this with the Mepis installer in AntiX on my dual drive eeepc 900. I ended up having to move /home to secondary drive after doing the install. Mepis installer could not handle but 1 drive at a time.

On this IBM m41 I am posting on. I have 2 ide drives triple booting AntiX12, Macpup 529, and Semplice 2.0.4

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp

title Semplice GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    chainloader +1   #####this is grub 2######

title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sdb1 dir macpup529frugal
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    kernel /macpup529frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=macpup529frugal
    initrd /macpup529frugal/initrd.gz
    as you can see. I have different distros booting up on seperate hardrives on the, root/rootnoverify, line. I am using grub legacy installed to mbr on (hd0,0) to boot Puppy and Semplice (which uses grub2 to boot) on second hard drive which is (hd,1,x)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    If your drives have different sizes you can figure witch one is for installation by running the "lsblk" command
    then go to partitioning the device for install with fdisk or cfdisk if you want a MBR partition table or gdisk or parted if you want GPT
    MBR es easier to set than GPT, but more limited too.

It would be really helpful if you tell us witch installation media (CD, DVD, Net, etc) you're using, and preferable a link where you download that media. cause, I'm gonna you the truth, I'm a little confussed about this, it seems that you have a installation media with an actual install program, and don't know nothing about that, no installation program for arch, just a convinient set of tools to set the installation by yourself

Linux Newbie
    I don't think you have an Arch CD Arch has no installer anymore. I would go back to the Arch Website and download another ISO