Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today there was apparently a new kernel upgrade. So, reluctantly I updated the system. What do you know the same thing that happened to me in an earlier thread happened ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Here we go again..

Today there was apparently a new kernel upgrade. So, reluctantly I updated the system. What do you know the same thing that happened to me in an earlier thread happened again.

After I rebooted I got the INIT x respawning too fast error message once again. When I run startx I see this:

Code:
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection Refused
    xinit: server error
    I also noticed that trying to install anything or synchronize the mirrors doesn't work. It fails to connect to ANY of my uncommented mirrors and says unknown error.

Code:
    error: failed retrieving file 'randomfile' from 'randommirror' : Could not resolve host:  Unknown error
    I'm sure it's a mirror problem that is the culprit. However, I do not know what to do. Please, I need serious help and can find nothing on google.

EDIT:I downgraded the kernel and then updated the mirrorlist. Upon downgrading the kernel I was able to get back in to my system. I've read results of people needing to upgrade xorg with similar problems such as this so I reinstalled xorg xorg-server xorg-utils. It upgraded a large amount of packages. Then I restarted the system. Once I got to the point where it would normally take me to slim instead it was just a black screen. Not even a respawning too fast error. I re-updated the system to the newest kernel and restarted again. I was excited when I was able to get to slim. However, I found that I could not type at all. None of the keys work and I couldn't switch ttys. As I've said before Google doesn't seem to turn up any results. It seems at the moment that there is nothing I can do considering that I cannot type anything at all or switch to cli.

EDIT2: I edited the kernel line and was able to downgrade the kernel once again. Now I am able to log back into my system. I ran a check for pacnew pacsave and pacorig files but there are absolutely none... just to be sure.

Once this didn't work I switched the runlevel to 3 and updated the kernel once more. I do have keyboard input in runlevel 3. I ran startx and X started up! However, I was not able to type anything or move my mouse. It appears that my mouse and keyboard only doesn't work in X but I am able to start X just fine..

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jdos1; 09-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Remember the old saw - if it ain't broke, then don't fix it? If you are running in a virtual machine, you can snapshot before the update and roll back if it breaks stuff, otherwise you need to do a bit-image backup of the system drive before installing kernel updates. Other than that gratuitous advice, there isn't much I can personally tell you in this situation as I don't use Arch - I am an RHEL (Scientific Linux) user.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Remember the old saw - if it ain't broke, then don't fix it? If you are running in a virtual machine, you can snapshot before the update and roll back if it breaks stuff, otherwise you need to do a bit-image backup of the system drive before installing kernel updates. Other than that gratuitous advice, there isn't much I can personally tell you in this situation as I don't use Arch - I am an RHEL (Scientific Linux) user.
    Well, I am able to downgrade to the old kernel (3.5.3) and it works there. I just can't figure out why I can't type anything or move my mouse in the new kernel. If I am in runlevel3 I can type just fine.

Obviously it has something to do with input and synaptics and such I just can't figure out what to do about it.

I did exactly the same upgrade yesterday, and my Arch system works normally. There weren't any xorg changes in the upgrade package, except the intel video driver. And as far as I can remember, the kernel doesn't run input devices in X, the xorg drivers run them.

Hey, I've just remembered! Slim was updated too. It didn't cause any problems for me but I wonder if it has anything to do with your problem, especially since you seem to be OK using startx.
    Last edited by hazel; 09-20-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    There seems to be something else at work here. Here are my symptoms.

1 - I can't sync to any mirrors or download anything. Upon further investigation I got an error: cannot find device "wlan0"
    So it seems to be something wrong with my internet instead of my mirrorlist or something. I tried downgrading networkmanager but no dice.

2 - Everything works fine in runlevel three(except that bit about the internet) but when I run startx in the new kernel I can't move my mouse or type any keys.

That's the jist of it so far. I don't know what to do at this point

Well, the lack of wlan0 is definitely a kernel problem. Looks like the proper driver for your wireless card isn't there or doesn't work. It's a problem I wouldn't have seen as I use wired ethernet. Check the boot log to see what (if anything) the new kernel has to say about your wireless card and compare it with what the old kernel said. Run lsmod and see if a suitable driver module is loaded. And it might be worth going to kernel.org and looking at the changelog for this kernel. In the last resort, report it as a bug.

The X problem is more puzzling. A new kernel shouldn't affect your keyboard and mouse in X.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Time to go back to Welcome - Linux Wireless for info on what drivers/firmware you need for your WiFi cruft. You may need to use a wired connection to your router/internet to get this stuff, or another computer and download what you need to a thumb drive so you can install it on your system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Those are both good ideas, I don't know why I didn't think of this. The X problem is quite puzzling and this happened to me the previous kernel update as well.

EDIT: Hmmm, I got an error:

Code:
    Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 3 retries left.
    Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 2 retries left.
    Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 1 retries left.
    While trying to makepkg. I plugged it into eth0 and running sudo ip link set eth0 up yielded an error saying: Cannot find device "eth0".

iwconfig gives me this result:
    Code:
    lo   No wireless extensions
    It appears I can't recompile and reinstall my wireless driver
    Last edited by jdos1; 09-22-2012 at 10:31 PM.