Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wstewart90
Hey, yesterday I installed archlinux on my pc. The installation seemed to go flawlessly. However, I'm not able to boot into arch. GRUB just gives me two boot options (Arch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub won't boot Arch Linux

Hey,

yesterday I installed archlinux on my pc. The installation seemed to go flawlessly. However, I'm not able to boot into arch.
    GRUB just gives me two boot options (Arch and Arch Failback initramfs). When choosing one of them, the screen goes black for a while(like 30 seconds or so) and then just returns to GRUB as if I pressed nothing. (Also, my windows installation isn't shown in GRUB, but that's another issue)

Just Joined!
    I tried to boot Arch again today and I observed that the screen does not stay black but prints the following for a second before returning to GRUB:

Code:
    error: no such device: {ID}
    Loading Linux core repo kernel ...
    error: no such partition.
    Loading initial ramdisk ...
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
    Of course instead of {ID} it prints the ID of my device. And despite printing "Press any key to continue..." it continues automatically after a second, so it's hard to see the message.

I checked my fstab from the arch live CD and it looks ok. I have no idea what this can be.

Linux Guru
    error: no such partition.
    It's looking for a partition or uuid which it can't find. Probably the best thing to do at this point if you can boot any Linux Live CD is to go to the site below, read the instructions and then download and run the bootinfoscript. It outputs a file called results.txt to the /home/user directory. You can look that over to see if it helps or post it here. It has a lot of detailed information on boot files, partitions, drives, fstab files, uuids and more.

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just Joined!
    I ran into a similar issue with arch before. It's probably looking for the wrong uuid. Run "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and run that command any time you make a change to grub. Also install os-prober if you want it to recognize windows and run that command again.

Just Joined!
    cant post links, google "boot repair disk", download the iso, burn to disk, boot it and repair any issue you might have, the other option is using easybcd on windows, which is similar program

Just Joined!
    No need to download a repair disk. The arch cd has all of the tools you need to repair the grub configuration. If it's a fresh install then most likely the steps to update grub were either left out or done wrong.

Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    It's on the arch wiki.
    ridobe likes this.