Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm working with Arch Linux for the first time. I am pretty good with ubuntu, backtrack and the normal linux terminal. I have a problem with my network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Script for auto network configuration

Hi everyone,

I'm working with Arch Linux for the first time. I am pretty good with ubuntu, backtrack and the normal linux terminal.

I have a problem with my network configuration.
    According to this page:
    wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Wired
    (I am working with a wired connection)

I need to run a few commands to get my internet and network working but when I reboot the system it forgot those steps:

Code:
    systemctl stop dhcpcd.service
    Code:
    ip addr add 10.0.2.0/24 dev enp0s3
    Code:
    ip route add default via 10.0.2.2
    I didn't wanted to type those commands every single time when I booted up the system so I thought I make a script for that:

Code:
    systemctl stop dhcpcd.service
    ip addr add 10.0.2.0/24 dev enp0s3
    ip route add default via 10.0.2.2
    But when I execute it I get this:
    Error from script.jpg

So does anyone know how I can make a script that do those commands?

I'm working in a virtualbox btw.

Android

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

Do you make that file in Windows and then copy it over? To check, try this command:

Code:
    cat -v /path/to/network-config.sh
    If you see ^M characters at the end of each line, then you probably need to remove them. You can do it w/awk, sed, etc., but here's an easy way:

Code:
    dos2unix network-config.sh
    It will replace the input file with the new one, with CR (Carriage Return) chars removed.

As to your original question, I've never used Arch, but on Fedora, I wanted to use the ip util, instead of ifconfig in my initscripts, so I had to install the etcnet package, which is designed with this in mind. It worked great for me. It was a couple years ago though, so maybe there is something better (or more Arch-specific) than that now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Hello and welcome!

Do you make that file in Windows and then copy it over? To check, try this command:

Code:
    cat -v /path/to/network-config.sh
    If you see ^M characters at the end of each line, then you probably need to remove them. You can do it w/awk, sed, etc., but here's an easy way:

Code:
    dos2unix network-config.sh
    It will replace the input file with the new one, with CR (Carriage Return) chars removed.

As to your original question, I've never used Arch, but on Fedora, I wanted to use the ip util, instead of ifconfig in my initscripts, so I had to install the package, which is designed with this in mind. It worked great for me. It was a couple years ago though, so maybe there is something better (or more Arch-specific) than that now.
    Ah thanks atreyu this worked for me. Didn't know that windows put ^M at the end of every line. But now I know how to fix it thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    cheers!

Are you still having the other problem - sorting out the auto-configuration of your network?

Edit: never mind, i see the thread has been closed. Well, if you do need help w/it, just start a new thread.
    Last edited by atreyu; 04-13-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: see Edit