Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hello, I'm having a problem with creating partitions, when I run fdisk /dev/sda1 it says no such file of directory... I'm using a USB External Disk from Seagate with 500G. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Creating partitions

Hello,

I'm having a problem with creating partitions, when I run fdisk /dev/sda1

it says no such file of directory...

I'm using a USB External Disk from Seagate with 500G.

Help me please.

Just Joined!
    You mean to do fdisk /dev/sda - the "1" refers to the #1 partition on that disk.

Also, "fdisk -l | grep ^Disk" will help you verify that /dev/sda is indeed the disk you wish. Since it's a USB drive you can also check the end of your `dmesg` output to verify.

Linux Guru
    If you run that command as root, the expected output would be:

fdisk /dev/sda1

Command (m for help):
    At the prompt above, you would type m and get the options and what they do. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to create a partition on an external drive it is not likely to be referred to as sda or sda1 unless you have no drive. You could run: fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) and that would show all attached drives/partitions.

Do you have anything installed on any drives now?

Linux Newbie
    Well, all I want is to be able to use my usb drive.... where is the folder? what is the directory..

Linux Guru
    What exactly are you trying to do? You start out saying you are having trouble creating partitions now you are asking about folders/directories. Do you have anything on the external drive? Do you have any partitions? Have you created a filesystem? Did you copy data to the drive? Did you install an operating system there? How are you running the fdisk command? Do you have a Linux operating system installed? A Linux Live CD. You posted under the Arch forums so we will all be guessing you are using it either as an install CD or installed to the hard drive. It's pretty hard to guess with the limited info you posted.

Just Joined!
    Reading your second question about folders/directories, I'm similarly confused as is yancek

I suspect you just bought an external drive and want to put some files there, but are not sure where to find that external USB drive or whether the drive has even a partition.
    As suggested the command:
    Code:
    $ fdisk -l
    will give you all partitions on connected hardware.

Let's assume you identified the external drive in fdisk's output, you can check if it is mounted, and where via:

Code:
    mount | column -t
    ## Note: This is the pipe symbol after 'mount' not a lowercase l - on a US keyboard you should get via SHIFT+ key between BackSpace and ENTER ##

This lists all mounted partitions including mount point (probably /media/DRIVE or on a Linux distribution using systemd /run/media/YOUR_USERNAME/DRIVE in case the external drive was mounted automatically), the file system the partition is formatted to, mount options (who can read/write)

In case you just bought that external drive it most probably is formatted to Microsoft's NTFS file system. You might want to reformat it to a UNIX file system if you use that drive only with Linux/UNIX systems, but that is another topic.

Hopefully that helps somewhat

Linux Newbie
    Ok that helped but still a few questions/problems.

First yes I have the arch installed and I used a SD Card 2G and thats Why I want the hard drive...
    I want to start installing in the hard drive...

now... By typing fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 2013 MB, 2013265920 bytes
    4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 61440 cylinders, total 3932160 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000714e9

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 122879 57344 c W95 FAT3
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 122880 3788799 1832960 83 Linux

so I think now mmcblk0p1 is the Sd and the p2 is the disk(I think not mounted)

is it right?
    to mount what I need to do?

Linux Guru
    You have Arch installed, where? On the 500GB Seagate HD you mention in post 1?
    Where did you run the fdisk command from? Interesting that your output doesn't show the 500GB drive.
    I'd never seen that type of output before from fdisk, the "mmcblk0p1" part anyway. Googled and found a couple of post where it showed. I don't know why it is listed that way but the standard fdisk output in your case would indicate that you have a small windows partition at the beginning of the disk (/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 122879 57344 c W95 FAT3) which should have a 2 (FAT32) and a larger Linux partition. So do you want to mount the Linux partition from Arch on the 500GB drive so you can put data on the SD cards second partition?

You can do that by booting Arch, opening a terminal and logging in as root user. You would then need to create a mount point for it: mkdir /mnt/sdcard (don't need to call it sdcard, any name you want) and then as root mounting it: mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/sdcard. You would first need to ascertain the filesystem type as it may not be ext4. In the terminal, type: df -T and it will show the filesystem type.

If that's not what you want, you will have to be more clear in your post.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaogl View Post
    Ok that helped but still a few questions/problems.

First yes I have the arch installed and I used a SD Card 2G and thats Why I want the hard drive...
    I want to start installing in the hard drive...

now... By typing fdisk -l

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 122879 57344 c W95 FAT3
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 122880 3788799 1832960 83 Linux

so I think now mmcblk0p1 is the Sd and the p2 is the disk(I think not mounted)

Could you please post the whole output of:

Code:
    # fdisk -l
    and

Code:
    $ mount | column -t
    As yancek sais, it is firstly not entirely clear what you want to achieve and secondly what your partition layout looks like, including which are your 'system partitions' like / and /home. Maybe you could provide with the information which physical drives are connected/plugged in? By that I mean: SATA/IDE hard drives, USB pendrive, external USB hard drives, SD cards, etc. That would make it a lot easier for us to help you.

Linux Newbie
    You have Arch installed, where? On the 500GB Seagate HD you mention in post 1?
    First yes I have the arch installed and I used a SD Card 2G
    this means I've installed it on the sd...

small windows partition at the beginning of the disk (/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 122879 57344 c W95 FAT3) which should have a 2 (FAT32) and a larger Linux partition. So do you want to mount the Linux partition from Arch on the 500GB drive so you can put data on the SD cards second partition?
    Rigt now its all in the sd but it is too small so I want to start using the Disk.... btw this is a RaspberryPI so it has to run in SD card...

Could you please post the whole output of:
    Code:
    root@raspberrypi:~# fdisk -l

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1            8192      122879       57344    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/mmcblk0p2          122880     3788799     1832960   83  Linux
    root@raspberrypi:~#
    and
    Code:
    root@raspberrypi:~# mount | column -t
    /dev/root       on  /          type  ext4      (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
    devtmpfs        on  /dev       type  devtmpfs  (rw,relatime,size=216132k,nr_inodes=54033,mode=755)
    tmpfs           on  /run       type  tmpfs     (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=44880k,mode=755)
    tmpfs           on  /run/lock  type  tmpfs     (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
    proc            on  /proc      type  proc      (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    sysfs           on  /sys       type  sysfs     (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tmpfs           on  /run/shm   type  tmpfs     (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=89740k)
    devpts          on  /dev/pts   type  devpts    (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/mmcblk0p1  on  /boot      type  vfat      (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
    root@raspberrypi:~#

As yancek sais, it is firstly not entirely clear what you want to achieve and secondly what your partition layout looks like, including which are your 'system partitions' like / and /home. Maybe you could provide with the information which physical drives are connected/plugged in? By that I mean: SATA/IDE hard drives, USB pendrive, external USB hard drives, SD cards, etc. That would make it a lot easier for us to help you.
    I have the SD with the OS and a External USB Drive (Seagate Expansion Portable 500GB - 2,5'')

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast