Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using Arch Linux on my desktop computer that I have at home that also boots Vista, I knew how to do a dual boot installation on that system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to dual boot Arch and Win8??

I've been using Arch Linux on my desktop computer that I have at home that also boots Vista, I knew how to do a dual boot installation on that system because Vista only took up 2 partitions(1 was windows, the other was recovery). I want to install Arch on my work laptop, but the problem is, ever since I upgraded to windows 8(horrible choice that I regret) from windows 7, Windows takes up 4 partitions, 1 boot, 1 windows files, and 2 recovery(don't know why). And since you can only have 4 partitions on a hard drive, and I don't want to delete recovery because windows might not boot without it. What should I do???

Just guessing here, but could one of the recovery partitions be for Windows 7.

Personally I would delete the Recovery Partitions and request a DVD from the computer manufacturer, you could be SOL if your Hard Drive fails.

I never had a boot problem from deleting the recovery partition.

Just Joined!
    But is Win boot partition(it's 200 mb) of any importance is I'll just eventually replace it with GRUB??

If Win 8 created it I would not be able to answer that, newest I use is Windows 7 and it is not necessary AFAIK, at least I do not have a boot partition on Win 7 or XP.

Usually a Windows boot partition would only occur on a Windows dual boot system, seems like somehow it thinks you are dual booting Windows 7 & 8, probably explains why you have two recovery partitions as well.

As for your recovery partitions, try placing them on a USB stick with THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
    Should also work for the Windows 7 recovery partition, if you want it.

Sounds also like you didn't get a good upgrade of Windows 8, how did you go about this upgrade?

Linux Guru
    But is Win boot partition(it's 200 mb) of any importance is I'll just eventually replace it with GRUB??
    Grub isn't going to boot windows directly. If this was pre-installed (OEM) windows 7, it probably had a separate boot partition and those files will be needed for Grub to access to boot windows. If you upgraded to windows 8 over windows 7, the 8 boot files will likely be there. You may have 2 Recovery partitions, one for the old windows 7 and one for windows 8 and you would have to investigate to find out which is which before removing/formatting one. I would investigate to see what boot files are needed and where they are. OEM installs usually have a separate boot partition, if you install it yourself it probably doesn't have one.

Just Joined!
    I really liked Win8 at the beginning, but eventually, I found it really hard to be productive on with the start screen. And I regretted that decision greatly, and I'd like to switch back to windows 7, but I feel like Linux would be even better on my laptop

I hear that Windows 8.1 is supposed to be better.

A lot have others I know have recommended using Start8 from Stardock to make Windows 8 better.

Is there a reason you need Windows at all?

I hope where I work stays with Windows 7 a while longer.

Linux Guru
    What exactly did you do with the computer that has windows 7 and windows 8? You indicate in your first post that you 'upgraded' to windows 8. I would take that to mean you installed windows 8 over windows 7 and not dual-booting the two systems, is that correct? Do you have a windows 7 installation CD/DVD? If one of your 'Recovery' partitions is in fact from windows 7 and you previously created a Recovery CD for it, you should be able to set it to windows 7 factory defaults.

I hear that Windows 8.1 is supposed to be better
    I've heard that about every release of windows for the last 25 years. Maybe someday it will actually happen.

Just Joined!
    I did upgrade, but I did not attempt to have a dual booted system. My computer didn't come with a recovery cd.

Linux Guru
    So you installed windows 8 over windows 7 and don't have a windows 7 installation CD/DVD, right?
    Computers don't come with Recovery and rarely with installation CDs. You usually can purchase it as an additional cost when you get the computer, $15-$25 is about standard. I doubt you could do that now but you might try contacting the manufacturer, whoever that was. When you initially boot the windows 7, you should be prompted to create a Recovery CD which you can then use to boot the computer and it will access the Recovery partition and you can reset to factory defaults. If you have two Recovery partitions, one is probably windows 7. You would have to determine which is which, maybe by checking the date of files on each partition. You might try an online search for windows 7 Recovery CD to see what you can find. I came up with a number of options such as the link below. Don't know anything about the site or how reliable it might be:

Download a repair/ recovery cd for Windows 8, 7 and windows Vista

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast