Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using Arch Linux on most of my computers except my school computer. I really want to switch to Linux because it's an overall better experience. But I feel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should I switch to Linux totally?????

I've been using Arch Linux on most of my computers except my school computer. I really want to switch to Linux because it's an overall better experience. But I feel kind of queasy switching to Linux totally. I dual boot system is out-of-the-question due to the partition scheme of windows on my hard drive. I'm also worried about my graphic cards and their drivers, I have a nVidia GTX 660M, and it would be a shame to not have it supported on Linux and would just make me change my mind about switching. Is there anything that windows can do that Linux can't??? Should I switch? or should I not??

extra info: I'm a junior in high school, I'm not such a big gamer, but I play 0A.D., Minecraft, World of tanks. I do alot of web browsing, watch a lot of youtube, read, and school stuff

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by owemeacent View Post
    I'm also worried about my graphic cards and their drivers, I have a nVidia GTX 660M, and it would be a shame to not have it supported on Linux and would just make me change my mind about switching.
    You should be fine with either the open source nouveau Linux drivers or the binary NVidia Linux driver. Unless you are trying to run Crysis or something crazy like that. Linux is so good with hardware these days that it is Windows that has driver issues more often.

Is there anything that windows can do that Linux can't???
    Catch viruses. for everything else, Wine, or run Windows in a Virtual Machine (kvm, virtualbox, etc.).

Should I switch? or should I not??
    switch! be one of us. be one of us.

extra info: I'm a junior in high school, I'm not such a big gamer, but I play 0A.D., Minecraft, World of tanks. I do alot of web browsing, watch a lot of youtube, read, and school stuff
    Linux can certainly do the web browsing and youtube (though flash can be buggy on some systems) and probably play all those games via Wine. Really, there is nothing to fear.

If you are truly concerned, list some specific apps that you require in Windows, b/c that is really what it boils down to.

To steady nervousness. Why not buy a class 10 Flash card of about 16 to 32 gigs and run Arch off of that.

Or, . Make backup disks of Windows whatever and put them away. You can always go back to them if a panic attack.

If you have a Windows Install DVD. You can install VM in Arch and run Windows in there also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    If you're going to switch to linux completely then you'll have to mess up your partition scheme any way. I imagine the only reason you can't dual boot right now is due to the number of primary partitions on your system, otherwise you should be able to find free partitioning tools that can do anything that you can't do in the windows disk management utility. I'm all for using linux as your main os but just make sure that you fully understand what linux can't do. For instance, usb emulation doesn't fully work in WINE.
    Last edited by wstewart90; 10-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Just Joined!
    Should I be worried about anything particular??

You should be fine.

Trusted Penguin
    Should I be worried about anything particular??
    what do you consider the *most import things* that you do when in Windows? make a short list of these things, and post it here. be as specific as possible. i promise you will get great advice and words of experience on each item.

Just Joined!
    The most important things that I must have they must have on Linux would be .rar archiver, torrent manager, good flash support, I don't for X11 to crash, ever. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

Trusted Penguin
    The most important things that I must have they must have on Linux would be .rar archiver, torrent manager, good flash support, I don't for X11 to crash, ever. Other than that, I'm not really sure.
    You can get rar and unrar for Linux and you'll be good to go with rar files from the command line. They are likely already in your Linux distro's software repositories. for example, in Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, you could do:

Code:
    yum install rar unrar
    There are also GUI rar/unrar tools, that are integrated into the file manager (like double-clicking .zip files in Explorer). i am a command line weenie myself, so i don't know which ones there, but i have read about them before.

there are more than a dozen bit torrent clients for Linux, some GUI some command line. See a list here. i use rtorrent myself.

as to Flash, you can do a few things. one is to make sure you are running the latest version of Flash for Linux in your browser (version 11.something). Also, keep a version of Flash 10.x for Linux around b/c you will find certain sites that crash your browser using Flash 11.x, but will work with Flash 10.x.

you can also try Gnash and Lightspark, two alternatives to Flash for Linux. I've only tried Gnash, and it was a while ago, but it didn't work better or more reliably than Flash for Linux.

Also, if you are using Youtube a lot, you can opt to participate in their HTML5 Trial. This will play back supported media using HTML5 instead of Flash, when possible.

I really not found anything that Windows can do that I can't do on Linux so I'd say YES, go for it. You'll never really feel "at home" with Linux until you cut the Windows umbilical cord and totally jump into Linux. Personally I'd go with Debian or and off shoot but that's just me having come to Linux through Ubuntu 12.04 and finally moving to Point Linux and Debian 7.1 but if Arch makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then go for it, tons of stuff in their Repo to download so it'll work as well as any other version of Linux. Come on into the Linux Pool, the water is fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast