Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had Arch Linux on one of my home desktops for about 2 months now. I really love it. But ever since I updated to GNOME 3.10 a couple minutes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch Linux won't start up

I've had Arch Linux on one of my home desktops for about 2 months now. I really love it. But ever since I updated to GNOME 3.10 a couple minutes ago, I logged out but the GDM didn't show up, then I restarted, and it just froze during bootup. This hasn't ever happened before. What do I do?????

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot into text mode and revert to the previous version. FWIW, I had a similar problem with my RHEL 6.2 work system when I updated X-org - I had to restore to the previous version before I could back into the GUI - a total PITA for sure! I experimented with my home Scientific Linux 6.3 system (SL is a clone of RHEL) and had the same problem. I updated the OS to 6.4 and the problem went away with the latest xorg cruft. My guess? It was an interaction with an older system or other support library that X needed and the only resolution was to either update the OS, or downgrade the graphics... an example of inadequate testing by the development teams of the GUI systems, but I have to admit that as a professional software engineer for 30+ years, that level of regression testing is often not practical, though should still be done if it is likely to be used on recent releases of the systems they are intending it for.

All that said, did you read the release notes to see if there was any counter-indication that it could be used with your OS?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    How do you do that? My X.Org server never really broke before. I didn't read any of the release notes though. But will I still be able to get GNOME 3.10 on my system??

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by owemeacent View Post
    How do you do that? My X.Org server never really broke before. I didn't read any of the release notes though. But will I still be able to get GNOME 3.10 on my system??
    Have you updated the system? In any case, the answer is "it depends". You may have to go to the Gnome web site to see what they say. There should be user forums you can post the question to. In any case, what kernel are you running?

Just Joined!
    Since Since I'm using Arch, I'm at the latest and greatest (more or less on that one), so I have kernel version 3.11.4, I think it was released today.

Then my previous suggestion about reporting this to the Gnome development team would be appropriate, and downgrade to the previous version you were using for now and see if that fixes it.