Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am instaling Arch on a white unibody Macbook. I want to dual boot Arch and OSX and I have rEFInd installed. The installation proceeds nicely until I reboot off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ERROR: device "" not found..Skipping fsck.

I am instaling Arch on a white unibody Macbook. I want to dual boot Arch and OSX and I have rEFInd installed.

The installation proceeds nicely until I reboot off of the CD and try to get into linux from the bootloader. I get this error message

ERROR: device '' not found..Skipping fsck.
    ERROR: Unable to find root device ''.

I have searched for solutions to similar problems..

But the difference between all of the other issues related is that the error will list their root drive. On my screen, no specific root is listed. I have followed several troubleshooting guides to no avail.

I simply can't get into my base Arch that I've installed. I've tried 4 to 5 times now with no luck.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    until I reboot off of the CD and try to get into linux from the bootloader
    If you installed Arch, why are you trying to boot off the CD? If you are using the Mac bootloader, I expect you would need to modify its menu file to enable it to boot Arch. You can get the / partition with the fdisk -l command. It will probably be an ext4 partition.

Just Joined!
    Yancek, I installed using the CD. When the guide tells me to reboot, remove the CD, and boot into Linux from rEFInd, it starts to boot and returns this error.

Linux Guru
    As I understand, you are using the bootloader from your Mac to try to boot Arch, is that correct? Did you install the Arch bootloader to the root partition of the drive? I've never used a Mac but if you installed the Arch bootloader to the root partition, you would need to configure whatever boot file is used with your Mac bootloader.

You can find the root device or uuid by using the Arch CD and opening a terminal as root user run the command: fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) which will show which partition. You can also run from the terminal the command: blkid which will tell you what the uuid for each partition is which you might be able to use. I'm not familiar with the Mac bootloader(s) and have never used Arch so doubt I'll be much help.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by weylandthesmith View Post
    I am instaling Arch on a white unibody Macbook. I want to dual boot Arch and OSX and I have rEFInd installed.

The installation proceeds nicely until I reboot off of the CD and try to get into linux from the bootloader. I get this error message

ERROR: device '' not found..Skipping fsck.
    ERROR: Unable to find root device ''.

..remainder omitted..
    I can offer a clue: the message suggests that the kernel options, and in particular the root=whatever option, has not been found by rEFInd. One way in which this can happen is if a suitable refind_linux.conf is not in the same directory as the vmlinuz-linux or vmlinuz-arch.efi that is being booted.
    So if you get to the rEFInd start menu, try using the right- and left- arrow keys to look in detail at precisely what bootable images you are being offered. That should give you a clue as to where to look to see if you have a refind_linux.conf associated with the image you're trying to boot.

I don't use a Mac, only an Intel PC on which I run Arch and nothing else, so the remarks above are based only on my experience of working with rEFInd on my own system. Normally, if/when faced with the problem of being unable to boot, I would start up the Arch install CD/DVD and get to the root prompt
    and then:
    Code:

# mkdir /mnt/arch
      # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/arch   ... assuming /dev/sda2 is the root filesystem partition
      # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/arch/boot ... assuming /dev/sda1 is the EFI partition
      # arch-chroot /mnt/arch  ... arch-chroot is a script that does some necessary extra stuff
    at which point you will get a new shell, in which the installed Arch root and boot is available to you, and you can cd /boot and start doing any repair work. Be slow and careful about what you do, for example make a copy of a file by cp whatever whatever.original so that you can undo changes if you have to.