Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't mean to start another one of these threads.. and I have honestly searched for hours on what is best for me. The problem is, the both seem best ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch vs Slack

I don't mean to start another one of these threads.. and I have honestly searched for hours on what is best for me. The problem is, the both seem best for me. I love the stability of Slackware with the customizability of Arch Linux.

There is however one deciding factor that I haven't been able to find answered. I just bought a new laptop, AMD Athlon 64 TF-20 1.6ghz, 4gb ram, 300gb hard drive, radeon x1200.

I'm looking for the distro that will give me the best possible performance on this machine. I work online, so I need stability but at the same time I need good performance/speed.

I'm not really a Linux noob, I've used Gentoo, arch and slack in the past. I'm familiar with using the CFLAGS or USE and text based installs. However, I haven't used any Linux distribution in probably 7 or 8 years. I'm just looking for some help on what would be best for my situation here.

Just Joined!
    Had very similar question two weeks ago, and installed Debian Testing.

For me Arch - is the best distro for home use. The main advantage is AUR. Arch is really quick, nice and becomes very stable.

I installed Debian, because of me work. I prefer to run the same environment both on job and at home. But my heart stays with Arch