Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, got the Manjaro with xfce loaded onto my #2 "play" laptop and it's working like a champ. Found the wifi, the update manager did all my updates and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Manjaro/xfce, "It's Alive, It's Alive."

Ok, got the Manjaro with xfce loaded onto my #2 "play" laptop and it's working like a champ. Found the wifi, the update manager did all my updates and I also did a pacman -Syu after and sure enough all the updates were done. I've install a couple things with pacman -S including Gqrx so I can get my SDR on and it works. AUR seems to have just about any piece of software a person would want to use which is cool.
    Only "odd" thing is how it installed on my hard drive. Not sure why it left some space as "unallocated" and not sure why it used ext2 AND ext4. Of course if I were going to install this on my laptops with the SSDs then I'd leave 3GB unallocated but this install was on an HDD so I kind of find this strange. Anyway, only seems to be using up around 6GB of HDD space which is nice. Once I get more use to using pacman I'll probably switch my other two laptops over to Manjaro. Here's a pic of what I got from gparted, any idea why it formated the HDD this way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Congratulations on getting it going. It is a strange layout. Why a separate boot and not a separate home I wonder.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Your guess is as good as mine. I AM going to learn this stuff if it hairlips everyone on Bear Creek though.

and why is the boot partition ext2 and not ext4. Why the unallocated part. Don't really understand how Manjaro/Arch sets up a hard drive. Maybe someone will chime in and give us the 411.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, I've always been one to jump right in on something so I now have Manjaro installed on my #1 laptop. Probably hit ol' Jr. later on but for now I'm still get using to stuff. Need to figure out why things are partitioned like they are and need to make my unallocated on #1 3GB since it's an SSD and I need to have free space on it so it won't bog down. Anyway, this Linux thing just might catch on, LOL.

P.S.
    I booted into my Point Linux Live USB and used Gparted to tweak partitions a bit. I made the Unallocated a bit bigger and made swap smaller. I figure that 2GB was plenty for swap since It's really never used but just in case it's there and the same size as my installed RAM. This is on my #1 with the SSD, may tweak the HDD on #2 later if I feel the urger to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNFrank; 04-17-2014 at 09:42 PM.

I also did some searching on the web for info and got my Bluetooth working by following these instructions:

I managed to get it working again by downgrading to blueman 1.23. What I did:

- Uninstall bluez (also removes blueman)
    - Install bluez4
    - Install "downgrade" from AUR
    - in Terminal: "downgrade blueman", press s for search, install blueman 1.23
    - reboot

I am getting the hang of it but it's going to be totally different then having everything work right out of the box.

Well, just to update. I upgraded the kernel in my Manjaro install to 3.13 and lost bluetooth. Probably because they're using 2.17 and for some reason it doesn't work with my bluethooth card so I did a re-install and left kernel 3.10 in place and with installing bluetooth firmware and blueman I got it running again.
    So far Manjaro is the only Arch based Distro that I've been able to get installed. The others were either too complicated for me, i.e. using cfdisk o partition stuff instead of automatically doing it or they just wouldn't boot for one reason or another.
    Verdict, if you want an Arch based op system but don't want the hassle of becoming a Computer Science Major then by all means give Manjaro a try. You get all the Arch goodness without all of the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Your guess is as good as mine. I AM going to learn this stuff if it hairlips everyone on Bear Creek though.

and why is the boot partition ext2 and not ext4. Why the unallocated part. Don't really understand how Manjaro/Arch sets up a hard drive. Maybe someone will chime in and give us the 411.
    I've installed Manjaro a bunch of times (it's my go-to when I'm not messing with something else), and I've found that the best way is to select the partitions manually. I'll create a 30 gig partition and assign it to "/", make a swap partition that totals 2 gig per gig of RAM on your machine, then create a partition with the rest assigned to "Home". That's always worked fine for me. As for the odd unassigned part, I find that with installs every now and then, and not just with Manjaro. I've no idea what causes it.

Just a little update. I've moved one of my Manjaro installs over to the "Testing" branch and it was as easy as pie. No GPG Errors like I got in my Debian installs, works like a charm. I really do love Manjaro, it's a heck of a Distro with more then enough "Arch Goodness" to keep me happy. Just wanted to pass that along.
    https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?t...g_Repositories

Just Joined!
    The unallocated bits are to do with the way the PC handles a drive. Each of the partitions take up a certain amount of space but if the start or end of the partition doesn't coincide with the next one there will be a gap. The gap, and I am trying to keep this really simple, is because the drive expects blocks of data, i.e. the information on the drive, to be a set size. Therefore you often end up with unallocated space. Usually it's a few MB, it's not really worth bothering about to be honest.

However, I do not know much about SSD architecture so I can't comment on that. Presumably there is a way to calculate the exact size of each partition to minimise unallocated space. I tend to just figure "Okay, I want a 40 GB partition so that's 40 x 1024" and not sweat the small stuff.

Richard

I do know that with an SSD it'll look for a certain block size and you can only write over an area once the entire block is free, that's why you need Trim with an SSD to free up the entire block so you can write to it. I just reabsorbed the little bit that was left over into my main, root partition, I'm sure it will not hurt anything at all. It'll just be a bit of extra space on the root partition that won't be used.
    Also, in another little heads up, my bluetooth has quite working. Don't think it's an issue between Stable, Testing or Unstable since my Testing install has bluetooth issues now as well. I did a test with Live USB of Point Linux 2.3(Debian Stable MATE DE) and bluetooth worked fine so it's a Manjaro issue and not a hard bluetooth issue. Just hope they get it sorted out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast