Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, after about 5 tries I managed to get ArchBang installed. Took some doing but I got all the gpg keys installed and fixed. Got the mirrors that I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Finally got ArchBang installed but it's being a total PITA.

Well, after about 5 tries I managed to get ArchBang installed. Took some doing but I got all the gpg keys installed and fixed. Got the mirrors that I want uncommented out so I can download stuff(well most stuff) and I finally have Firefox 29 set up a bit better so I can use it.
    USB's don't show up on the desktop when they're plugged in even though it looked like they're suppose to by what I saw in settings. No idea if I can even change the clock to 12 hour time from the 24 hour setting and it seems I can add nothing to panel and can't move it from the bottom of the screen.
    Openbox it totally strange to me so I'm pretty much lost trying to use it.
    I did get hardinfo installed and it's showing both cores of my cpu but I only have one cpu meter in the pre-installed conkey that's on the desktop.
    This is really going to take some getting use to since I'm more use to using Xfce or MATE.
    One plus, when I did a CPUBlowfish benchmark I got 9.12, that's a bit faster then I was getting with other installs which normally ran 9.22 to 9.31 so something is letting it run faster.
    I only made two partitions, an ext4 for the install and a 2GB Swap. Before I was trying to do 3 and things just weren't working very well but 2 seemed to be the magic number to get things installed.

Anyway, if anyone can please chime in and help me fix a few of these problems I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The panel is not provided by openbox, as a window manager it's way to minimal for that. If Archbang is the same Crunchbang then the panel is likely to be tint2 which can be configured by editing the correct file. Again in Crunchbang, you can use a program called feh to set the desktop background image and compton to handle the compositing effects.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I've used feh to view photos on other Distro installs. So panel(yep, I saw tint2) can't really be tweaked or anything and there's no way to change the clock to 12 hour time? ArchBang is making Manjaro look better and better for someone wanting an easy Arch install without all the hoop jumping and stuff.

tint2 can be configured as much as any Linux program. Simply edit the configuration file ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc.

Do not try and use the GUI. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
    What truth?
    There is no GUI.

What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Ok got Xfce installed and I'm using it instead of OpenBox. For some reason I can't install Octopi package manager from Terminal. Seems like I did it in Manjaro without issues and I don't seem to be able to find any package managers installed in ArchBang, can't even install pamac in Terminal to get a start up package manager to then install Octopi.
    Also, USB's still don't show up on the desktop even though I've got everything set up for them to.

It was not Arch. But if you want yours (tint2 panel) to look like mine. (Mine autohides when the mouse leaves it)

I have my old tint2rc in pastebin if you want it.

This is how my fluxbox looked at one time.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/29llnbt.jpg

The pastebin link

tint2rc - Pastebin.com

You'll notice my clock is set up right also in the screenshot.

Do not try and use the GUI. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
    What truth?
    There is no GUI.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I'm starting to think that I'm just going to throw Manjaro on my #2 and dump ArchBang. Way too many issues for my taste.

Up late so

ArchEX Linux Live DVD

Edit: signing off

http://linux.exton.net/
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Got it bookmarked. I'll give it a look later on today but so far all Distros based on Arch with the exception of Manjaro have been a huge disappointment. I really don't think an Op System needs to be this hard to install and configure, I mean, you shouldn't need a dang Computer Science Degree to install something o a laptop. Manjaro installed easily and it's Arch based so I get all the Arch Repo goodness without going completely nuts trying to get it working.

You piqued my curiosity so I downloaded archbang and loaded it on the playputer. It's no harder than Slackware with the exception that the Slackware documentation is written in a much clearer style than the Arch wiki.

A few hours faffing around in the configuration files and I have this. I was sure it would be as configurable as #! and it is. It's all done though editing files directly. Which is fun for a change of pace.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast