Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux Frozen after [ OK ] Reached Target Graphical Inteface

Hello Im running arch linux on a rpi and I just set up lxde. But when i boot it gets frozen on [ OK ] reached target graphical Interface. Any ideas. Now i cant even get a terminal to reverse what i did. The last thing i did was:
    Code:
    systemctl enable lxdm.service
    Please help

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Hello Im running arch linux on a rpi and I just set up lxde. But when i boot it gets frozen on [ OK ] reached target graphical Interface. Any ideas. Now i cant even get a terminal to reverse what i did. The last thing i did was:
    Code:
    systemctl enable lxdm.service
    Please help
    I haven't used Arch for a long time, but the way systemd usually reaches a graphical target is by creating a link called /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service to the actual service file, in your case /lib/systemd/system/lxdm.service. Your enable command should have created this link.

Have you got a rescue CD? If so, you can check that the link exists. Also did you change the lxdm.service file in any way? I assume it's a standard file that came with lxdm.

At a pinch you could probably reverse the change by chrooting from the rescue disc to your Arch partition and getting rid of the link.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

did you take a look what happens on the other tty's? most probably you can still log in from one.
    fwiw, i guess you have a graphic driver issue. lxdm is your first app to leave the realms of the text user interface and climb to the improbable heights of the graphical user interface - and probably got stuck.

ps: what's an rpi?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    did you take a look what happens on the other tty's? most probably you can still log in from one.
    fwiw, i guess you have a graphic driver issue. lxdm is your first app to leave the realms of the text user interface and climb to the improbable heights of the graphical user interface - and probably got stuck.

ps: what's an rpi?
    I think the post before solved it thanks and sorry for the confusion of an rpi. Its short for raspberry pi which runs an arm version of arch so there is not as much documentary.

I haven't used Arch for a long time, but the way systemd usually reaches a graphical target is by creating a link called /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service to the actual service file, in your case /lib/systemd/system/lxdm.service. Your enable command should have created this link.

Have you got a rescue CD? If so, you can check that the link exists. Also did you change the lxdm.service file in any way? I assume it's a standard file that came with lxdm.

At a pinch you could probably reverse the change by chrooting from the rescue disc to your Arch partition and getting rid of the link.
    Alright this did solve it for me. If I didnt make sense I meant to say i was running on a raspberry pi. So booting a rescue disk would be a hassle. The hardrive is a sd card so i can just delete it from there